Macbook Pro 2.0 Core duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coachingguy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I can pick up a MBP2.0 Core duo for $1300... How does this compare to the current MBP and especially to my current MB 2.0 C2D?

Is $1300 a good price?

Can I put more than 2gig ram in this machine?

If you have it, what do you think of it?

Thanks

Coachingguy

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd try to get a lower price, www.macofalltrades.com has the same MacBook Pro for the same price. I used to have that MacBook Pro, and although I had a lot of hardware problems, it was a speedy computer. I now have the Core 2 Duo version in my signature and in real world tests it is only about 25-30% faster, but having 4GB of RAM makes a big difference in Photoshop. And you can only put 2GB of RAM in that computer, it is a hardware limitation.

3. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Thanks.

I had not seen them before.

Coachingguy

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For an extra $300 you can get a SR MBP 2.2GHZ C2D with a better GPU from the Apple refurb store. Buy third party RAM, and you're set for a while.

Is that a typo? A 25% speed increase is pretty significant, not something I would describe as "only". But then, I suppose it depends on the tests.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, it's not a typo. The Core Duo MacBook Pro was announced in January 2006, and then the new Core 2 Duo version was announced over a year and a half later. In those one and a half years I personally think that only getting a computer 1/4th faster is not a huge upgrade, especially when there was another Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro before it. (This is speaking only about CPUs though, the GPU is a different story)

6. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Do you think the release, maybe this tuesday, of new MBP will drive the refurb prices down? Also, How would either the core duo or a newer C2D compare to my MB?

Thanks

Coachingguy

7. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Once the new MBP are released the older revisions usually drop about $50 more. Then the latest revision refurbished MBP will be the price that the refurbs are at normally.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

But there will be a lag time. You'll have to wait until new revisions are released and start coming back to Apple to see a price drop on older revisions in the refurb store. Could be a week or two, likely longer.