Macbook Pro 2.1 vs Mega Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Feb 5, 2008.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Hiya

Im currently using a macbook pro 2.1 with 3gb of ram, and i'm chugging along not too bad, but im starting to have some issues opening large files, and using aperture, and other adobe bits and pieces.

I've had a look around to find some comparisons to see if it would be worth selling my laptop and upgrading to a octo mac pro but i cant find anything.

Has anybody had any experience using both?

Many Thanks

:)
    RiverCottage

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Mac Pro will kick you Macbook Pro's ass in everything and anything performance wise it will be way faster!

3. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

you are comparing a laptop to a workstation - 2 cores vs 8 cores. I think it is a safe bet that the Mac Pro wins in every category except portability.

4. rivercottage thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies, I think my main difficulty at the moment is stablity, its not so much sheer speed im after, just a robustness of switching between programs without any jitters, which really really stress me out coming up to a deadline!

I think the speed of the harddisk in the macbook pro is also a culprit to some of the stress!

:)
    RiverCottage

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Well, if your worried about stability then I would wait till Leopard is updated some more because it's not to stable right now.