Macbook Pro 2.2 (Late 2011) feels sluggish.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Totty1987, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I've had this macbook since December and recently it's been a tad bit sluggish when launching applications such safari, iTunes etc. I've currently using 4gb or ram and have a 500gb hard drive installed.

I don't really do anything intensive on it, so I'm bit unsure as to why it's slowed down.

Is it worthwhile upgrading the ram to 8gb or perhaps going for a sad drive?

Any help is welcomed. Thanx :)

2. Geo411m macrumors regular

An SSD would make a world of difference. It's kinda weird that a computer that new is already feeling like it's slowing down.

3. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanx for replying to my post. Could you recommend a good SSD drive.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

It can be the HD or just some OS caches. Try a safe boot:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Give your Mac around 5 minutes to rebuild the caches, then restart your Mac. If that does not solve your problems, i recommend a high density HDD such as the Western Digital WD10JPVT, as one of the cheaper options. SSDs (Samsung) are good and expensive.

8 GB RAM is certainly not bad for your Mac (especially if you use WebKit-based browsers such as Safari or Chrome). I use the Kingston 8 GB Kit KTA-MB1333K2/8G in a similar configuration as you. The only brands i can recommend are Kingston and Samsung.

5. 7031 macrumors 6502

I quite like the Mushkin drives - Aria currently has the Mushkin Chronos 240GB drive for £150 last time I checked, which I'd say is pretty good value for money.

I'd have to agree that it does make an absolute world of difference to performance. I'd honestly say it's probably the single most important upgrade you could do.

6. Geo411m macrumors regular

No problem, I have a samsung 830 SSD and I love it. It's super fast and reliable.

7. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502