MacBook Pro 2.2 LCD issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by safetyobc, Dec 7, 2011.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I have MacBook Pro 2.2 that I bought new in late 2007. In October of last year (under AppleCare) the logic board was replaced.

In the last couple days on startup the computer will not play the startup "dong" and the LCD will be dark. I can barely see the normal login screen after it boots (and the apple symbol as it boots) however the screen is black.

To remedy this I have found the if I remove the battery and hold the power button down for a few seconds, then replace the battery and power on, it will start up with no problems.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Could be a failing 8600. Take it into an AASP or an Apple store and let a professional look at it. You are running out of time to take advantage of a free replacement LB, if that is whats wrong with it.

3. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

LB = Logic Board
    Free = without cost, payment, or charge.

5. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Ha ha. That really made me laugh, for real.

I meant why is it free? I'm assuming they had a recall? But would that apply since I had it replaced back in October 2010?

Also, does it cost anything to take it into the Apple store and let them look at it?

Thanks,

Matt

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

7. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

There is a four year limit like thundersteele said, so you may still be eligible.

EVEN if you already had the logic board replaced. Its worth a shot.

Though, I just remembered you initially said you can see the login window, which wouldn't be the case if the GPU had failed.

It could still be the logic board, it could also be the inverted. Does that model have an LED backlight?

8. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I couldn't find the time limit on that page. Yeah, I bought it October 2007 I think.

----------

Not sure about the LED backlight...

I wonder why it works when I take the battery out, then cycle power, then put battery back in?

Also, when this happens, the 2nd monitor I have connected does not come on either, which makes me think it isn't the LCD.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

end of first paragraph:
    You can try an apple store.

Btw, one fix if the screen stays dark is not to try to increase brightness, but to hit decrease brightness... that sometimes resets the confused brightness system.

10. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Got an appointment at the Genius bar on Saturday. Thanks all!