MacBook Pro 2,2 RAM Limit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strwrsfrk, Dec 10, 2012.

1. strwrsfrk macrumors regular

Does anyone know whether a MacBook Pro 2,2 will actually see 4GB RAM with Lion installed?

My friend has a late 2006 MacBook Pro 2,2. It has 1GB RAM, and she would like to upgrade to Lion (min of 2GB). If possible, I'd like to put in a minimum of 4GB.

But most of the resources online say the machine will only address 3GB. This appears to have been due to 32-bit limitations of the OS at the time (as the Intel chipset supports 4GB addressable), so unless there's specifically some hard-coded limitation, Lion should be able to properly address 4GB, right?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere; I couldn't find it in any thread.

2. strwrsfrk thread starter macrumors regular

The concern comes down to the "System Overlap" issue discussed in this article. I thought this was due to 32-bit limitations, which should have been cleared up as Mac OS moved to a unified 64-bit architecture, hence my confusion.

It sounds like ~3.3GB is about as far as it will go regardless, though. Shame (though if anyone else has ideas, I'd still love to hear them).

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I used 4 in my Rev 1, I would imagine a Rev 2 would take it.