Macbook Pro 2.2 with reinstall of software problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nukemkb, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Folks, I need some help - and it won’t hurt my feelings if you point out something obvious that I am missing.
    I am trying to reinstall Leopard by holding down the C key, and the DVD is spun 3 times (hear it), but then it spits it out and continues to start up normally.
    I have a separate monitor attached because screen is destroyed. I’ve tried without separate monitor, guessing when it should be at a proper point to select ‘erase and install’. I’ve tried releasing the C key early, midway, late and no change with monitor attached. I am using disk one. I put the disk in, then re-start computer while holding C key... So what am I doing wrong?
    Side note, in disk utility the option to erase the disk is grayed out for selecting the HD.
    Help!

2. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Is the superdrive working properly?

This sounds similar to what my superdrive did when it failed, it would spit the disk out after spinning it a few times, not just if I was trying to start from a CD or DVD, but any time I put a disk into it.

Can you play a CD or DVD normally from your computer?

Does the drive make any unpleasant noises (which was the other thing my drive did when it died on me)?

-spg

3. Nukemkb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Good thought! I've been on this problem for a couple days. Yesterday I was able to put a music CD in and play it plus download it into iTunes. Disk 2 of install originals also fails to load into computer....hmmmm. Let me go try a DVD only disk.

4. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

If your drive is working alright (and the fact that it can play a CD is a good sign, when mine died it could not play anything). The other thing to do would be to check the disks. If you know someone else with a mac, can you start that computer off of these disks. Are these actually apple's original disks?

5. Nukemkb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

oh well, it will neither play the DVD movie, nor recognize the movie. sigh! Thanks for helping find the problem!!

6. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

My PB was well out of warranty and I was able to get the superdrive replaced at a 3rd party authorized Apple repair (ie not through the apple store) for just under $200. Good luck.

-spg

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The drive will spit out the disk if it can't find a vaild " system folder" on it. Is it Disk 1 that you have put in there? Because the macbook pros ship with 2 dvds.

8. Nukemkb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Yes, it is disk 1 I am putting into it...you give me hope its not the optical drive!

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

put the disk 1 in , hold "option" when you turn it on, it should give you a boot menu, here you can choose what device you boot from. Also if you have external dvd drive you can boot off that? Or try it in another computer

10. Nukemkb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Will try holding "option" key down shortly - Thanks!!