macbook pro 2.26 as main computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superatombomb, Sep 27, 2009.

1. superatombomb macrumors member

superatombomb

hi,

i may need to use a macbook pro 2.26 13" as my main computer for a few months and i was wondering if anybody had any experience with frequent use of the 2.26 version. I won't be doing video editing or gaming but i may be doing a little photoshop. Mostly, however, i will be using it for word processing surfing the web, general use, etc...

thanks in advance :p

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

My 15" 2.53 is my main computer and it works great with photo editing, virtualizing, you name it. I would assume a similar result in your use of the 2.26 as the main computer. Make sure you invest $70 in a memory upgrade to 4GB, though. That'll help a lot. The 2.26 is a pro machine, because, compared to most computers out there, it's high end and it should be fine as your main computer:).

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For that kinda usage, it's more than enough. Just put 4GB of RAM in it, so Photoshop will be snappier

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'd agree with this.

None of those are really intensive, except PS - but 4GB of RAM will solve that.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree also. If you can afford it, 8GB would be even snappier:).

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I don't agree about 8GB. 4GB is good but SSD (any SSD)>8GB any day.

7. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I use a 2.53 as my main (and soon to be only) computer and I do pretty much what you describe and I have no problems at all.

I agree with everyone else though, if you can afford the extra, upgrade to 4GB RAM, it really will improve PS.

8. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I have a 2.33Ghz 2GB Ram 17" MBP and it's my main computer.

9. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've got the 2.26 MBP 13" and its my only machine. Everything from watching films, word processing, music, internet surfing, email to creating videos is done on this. Everything is standard apart from the hard drive - put my own 7200rpm drive in.

Previous to this, I had the Macbook Alu Unibody (basic model) which I used for a year and would have happily continued - although was getting a really decent price for it. So I sold it and got the current equivalent 2.26 MBP 13". This machine was again my main machine - it done everything from A to Z. My entire Masters (MSc) thesis was done on it, and it worked like a beast. Keynotes, courseworks, watching films, creating videos (youtube vids through imovie) and music... didn't let me down.

Works a treat ;)

10. capkapak macrumors newbie

I've been using MBP's as my main work horse since the first Core Duo's. No problem encountered. Just add an external monitor if you're gonna work on a desk. You will never look back.

11. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

I have one, and its great! I not only use it at home, but I use it all day at work as well. No complaints. It is easy to transport, and its a powerhouse. My iMac is basically my wife & kids' computer, as I rarely use it anymore.

12. mrj412 macrumors regular

I have a Mac Mini that is now just a fie server and iTunes podcast downloader since I got my 13" MBP ... I put in 4Gb and have used it as my main computer since. Its great and is a work horse.

13. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

my 13 is my main computer. agree with aforementioned opinions about employing the use of an external monitor at the desk for more screenspace and better productivity. CS4 works great which is important for me.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sure it will!:D

My Dad's 15" MBP he uses for video recordings, audio recordings and tons of other evidence in tons of different formats (he's a detective) and it all slows the computer down, only because its 5 years old and there's thousands of songs and photos on there as well...

Yours should do fine on photoshop :cool:

15. m0no macrumors regular

Same here. I just sold my late 2008 unibody 2.4 for $1200 :)

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

...but will it make Safari snappier ;)

17. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Can't go wrong with the 2.26 especially for the money you save over the 2.53

18. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

That really depends on your internet connection speed:rolleyes:. 4GB will make it a bit faster if one is ferociously multitasking with tons of tabs... but otherwise, it won't make much of a difference.:)

19. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I use a 2.4Ghz MBP 15" as my main work machine, and a 2.53Ghz MBP 13" at home as my main machine. They're fine for that. I'd recommend an external display though, if you like having additional desktop real estate. I've got a 24" at work and a 22" at home. Both places I've got a 3M LX500 that I use to raise them both up, and then an MS natural keyboard and Logitech trackman track ball on each. Both are also connected to a Belkin 7-port hub that has my card reader and TM drive on.

20. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I have a 13" MB as my main computer. I find it too small tbh. I think the resolution is too small and I find the whole experience uncomfortable.

I've just sprung for a 17" MBP to use as my main/only machine.

You might be okay but I feel closed in using the Macbook. Whatever works for you!