MacBook Pro 2.26GHz adequate for Photoshop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fenix85, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Fenix85 macrumors member

I'm new to Photoshop and planning on purchasing the education discount version with a new MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. I plan on upgrading the memory to 4GB and the hardrive to 360GB @ 7200rpm. Is the 2.56GHz processor worth the extra $300? I know the memory and hardrive will be about $140 if I get the 2.26GHz version. Will I notice a big difference between the 2.56GHz and the 2.26GHz?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You should be fine.
    2.26 to 2.56, you will see no difference.
    Any MacBook is going to run PhotoShop just fine for most users.
    Get what fits your budget!

Whats wrong with your MacBook CE?? It should run PS just fine!!

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I'm considering doing the same thing. Personally I think the 2.26 is good enough.

I sure don't think the upgrade is worth the price difference.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Its really not! You will never notice that speed difference. Even with a stop watch in hand! ;)

5. Fenix85 thread starter macrumors member

I love my MacBook CE and I've been getting more into PhotoShop at school and plan to take some classes. I really like the edu discount when you buy a Mac. The back to school promo is really nice as well. My dad has been admiring my MacBook for a while and has offered me a good enough price to consider upgrading.

One more question. How many computers can I run one copy of PhotoShop on?

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I believe it's one. I could be wrong.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea I think your right...

8. tomster2300 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure it's one. I run Photoshop fine on my 2 ghz MacBook with 4 gigs of ram. You don't need 4 gigs to run it though.

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Personally, I might just start with 2 gigs of ram and see how it runs. I can always get more later if need be.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I ran it with 2GB 667Mhz RAM. Now, running it with 4GB 800Mhz RAM, I really can't feel a difference. It doesn't use more than 1.5GB of RAM anyway, even now.

11. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

I run Photoshop & Illustrator on my Macbook 2.0 unibody, and generally work with quite large files doing heavy manipulation.

It runs smoothly, I have yet to experience any problems running these programs.

12. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

CS4 (Ps, Ai, ID) all work great on my 2.4Ghz Alu Macbook. 2GB RAM but will upgrade when I get snow leopard to 4gb

13. jbuk macrumors regular

From http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/
    So yes, but only as long as both computers run the same OS, are owned by you, and don't use Photoshop at the same time.

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

just disable it's access to the internet, and they'll never know ;D

15. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

The 2.26GHz will be just fine for Photoshop. In fact photoshop CS4 only has a 1.8GHz requirement for windows systems and for Mac it will still happily run on a G5 Power PC. What is more important then anything else is the Ram, Photoshop requires a minimum of 512MB to run (CS4 version) and they recommend 1GB.

From personal experience I would say that running the program on 4GB or more is the way to go. It will cope just fine with 2GB but the speed and stability improvements at 4GB are really worth more then any increases in Processing speed or Hard Drive Speed

Enjoy :rolleyes::apple:

16. csista macrumors member

You'll be fine. As long as you go to 4 gigs of ram, and have a video card if using CS4, you're good to go. Even 2gigs is doable, but I wouldn't recommend it.

And you're also good for two activations. Adobe realizes that a lot of people do a desktop/laptop combo.

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Anything new will run PS just fine.

I was running CS on my 2.4ghz P4 rev.B Dell tower with 768MB RAM, and it ran just fine for what I did. Then again, it'll depend on your layers and all that jazz, but yeah....no worries I'd say.

18. Fenix85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all of you for the great responses. I really don't want to buy more than I need. I'm going for the 2.26GHz processor and see how it goes with 2GB and maybe upgrade to 4GB if I feel it's necessary. The second copy of PhotoShop is going on a home iMac so I should be fine.

19. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

Your in the wrong forum buddy. Go to the snobby Pro section :p

20. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I have a Macbook pre-SR yup that's right ,, it's pretty old to some ppl's standards, going on two years strong, I am in a digital Media program, we use Illustrator, photoshop, flash and dreamweaver extensively, Only thing that I could possibly complain is teh screen size do do design I plug in it to a 22" monitor and proper mouse/tablet... It's not the best but it runs absolutely everything properly and no lag whatsoever by the way I'm running CS4...I did upgrade it to 3 Gbs of RAm (max on this notebook). I was planning on upgrading to the new 13" MBP, but i just can;t justify it, my machine still runs better than fine... hope that helps...:)