Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Fan Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackgmc, Dec 2, 2007.

1. blackgmc macrumors member

Hi I just got my Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz about a week ago. I have since installed OS X 10.5.1. I noticed while playing a music video in itunes. my fan's went up to about 6000 RPMS but the computer wasnt hot or overheating it only stayed that way for about 1 or 2 minutes. Is this normal ?

I also have another MBP 2.2Ghz and the fans never came on this high.

2. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

3. alljunks macrumors regular

I have the same problem.. I guess its normal..

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If it just happened once I wouldn't worry about it. Was the battery charging (not plugged in, but actually charging)? That tends to cause my fans to go full force.

5. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

It was plug in and running on " BETTER PERFORMANCE" Setting

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Did you charge the battery too?

Seems like the fan goes much higher when I work with the computer plugged in with low battery, since the charging produces a lot of extra heat aswell.

7. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

8. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

Look at iStat...or activity monitor, something has to be ramping up the CPU somehow

9. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

This problem only happen to me twice - 1st time I was installing leopard and second time was when the battery was low and on better performance setting. I have since tryed to get the computer to run HOT ( lots of programs running) but at 70c the fans only went up to 3000 RPM's. So I think it could of been somthing to do with the leopard install.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure if your fan "issue" is normal or not. The fans in my 2.2GHz MacBook Pro tend to idle around 1,990-2,000rpm just listening to iTunes, using Safari, and with Activity Monitor running in the background.