Macbook Pro 2.33 vs Powerbook 1.67 with Adobe CS2.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by silversyren, May 28, 2007.

  1. silversyren macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2006
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I did a quick google search but I was hoping someone here would have more links or real world experience.

    With CS3 now, I'm considering an upgrade from my 15" powerbook 1.67 to a macbook pro 2.33. However, I would have to keep my Adobe CS2 for probably a few months longer before I can afford the upgrade to CS3..

    Would the 2.33 + 2gb RAM run the same or faster than 1.67 + 1.5gb RAM even with a non-native program like Adobe CS2?
     
  2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

    CaptainCaveMann

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    #2
    No. The powerbook will run the native cs2 faster. ;)
     
  3. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

    im_to_hyper

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2004
    Location:
    Glendale, California, USA
    #3
    If you can't afford the upgrade to CS3 at this time, keep holding off... an upgrade to a MBP at this time *could* be fruitless, with the potential for new Macs in the very near future.
     
  4. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #4
    This link might help you.

    Personally i'd hold off because

    1. MacBook Pros will soon be updated
    2. The PowerBook is most certain to perform better than the MBP in CS2 because its a PPC app.

    BTW this was an overclocked PowerBook

    Enjoy
     
  5. silversyren thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2006
    #5
    thank you guys!

    One of the reasons I'm pondering an update now is because I can get a really nice deal on a 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33 and 2GB with applecare -- 1,900..

    also, could someone explain this to me?

    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/11/bench/index.php

    This was a link that confused me a bit because it's results are different from other speedtests.
     
  6. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Macworld does pretty reasonable tests.

    As for the guy who said it would be "*fruitless*" to buy an MBP now, it is true that we will certainly see a revision by June 11 if not tomorrow, but it isn't going to be a huge bump as Santa Rosa just isn't that big a deal (apart from Robson, which is pretty interesting but also probably won't have a RAM-drive in this iteration of the MBP).

    SR will give MBs a big boost for 3D app users when Apple chooses to include this chipset it in their consumer line due to the graphics upgrade, but it isn't going to be that big a deal for the MBP, so if you want a MBP now, go ahead and buy it. Macworld seems to be suggesting that CS2 will definitely run faster on your 2.33 C2D than it does on your current PowerBook.
     
  7. iTim314 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    U.S.
    #7
    Moreover, I agree with what everyone else is saying. I would wait for a MacBook Pro update, the get CS3. It's the best of both worlds. Until then, hold out with CS2 and your PowerBook. :)
     

Share This Page