MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (4GB Mem) overheating while coverting movie

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jnyberg, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jnyberg macrumors newbie

Hi,

My MacBook is really overheating when converting a movie in handbrake. I guess this is normal, but every now and then it freezes, and I have no choice but to force shut down by holding down the power button.
    I'm afraid this is going to damage my MacBook in the long run, and besides it's a pain when a movie is about 99% done and the computer freezes. Then I have to start all over again. :mad:
    Is there anyway of fixing this?

Thanks

2. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

have you installed smc fan control. if not you definitely need to with these macbooks. just put it on higher rpms when your doing any intensive work on your lappy.

3. jnyberg thread starter macrumors newbie

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the fans are not increasing in speed as the temps increase then something is not right. While I also use smcFanControl and do recommend it, I'd also suggest you reset your SMC to see if that resolves the problem.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'd use FanControl 1.1 instead - that way the fans come on automatically instead of you having to remember to put them on.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

smcFanControl does the same thing. I keep the fans at a set speed, but if I do something intensive and don't manually increase the fan speeds. They still ramp up to cool the MBP down.

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

All you do was specify the minimum fan speed. So if it does get hotter, the fans will speed up, but that isn't SMCFanControl, that is the MacBook's SMC chip doing that.

FanControl actually lets you specify the base speed as well as the temperature where the fans should hit 6000rpm. Straight line graph..

Works much better imo.

8. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

SMC fan control

If you install this it will void you warranty and also it can damage your computer. I was using it for a while i was having the same issue with the computer getting hot. I had to wipe my computer and reinstall the OS. That should fix your problem. DON'T back up your computer and restore off of that. Wipe it all. Save your stuff but dont restore from the saved copy.

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Where on earth are you getting your "information"?