MacBook Pro 2.4 or 2.66?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minusten, Jul 31, 2009.

1. minusten macrumors member

I've posted a thread regarding difficulties I'm having with a faulty previous generation MacBook Pro 2.66, to the point where I've wondered if a laptop is a good idea at all. But that is a separate thread, and keeping the laptop options open, I'm interested to know, will I notice much difference between the:
    previous generation MacBook Pro 2.66, 4gb RAM, 6mb L2 cache, 512 discrete graphics and the
    previous generation MacBook Pro 2.4, 4gb RAM (could self upgrade), 3mb L2 cache, 256 discrete graphics (appreciate hard drive is smaller)

The most strenuous task this will regularly face is running several Adobe CS and MS office applications at the same time.

Realistically, how much extra (cost wise) is the 2.66 worth? Will I notice much difference in performance for the above tasks?

My other thread asked for comparisons between the maxed out Mini (but with 2.0ghz processor) and the 2.66 MBP.
    How would you guys compare the maxed out Mini with the 2.4 MBP? The easier upgradeability of the MBP is one plus.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean EOL?

As for the specs the 2.4 will be slower because of the cpu speed and the cache difference. I don't think its going to be hugely noticeable however.

I'm not sure why you'd want to get another 2.66 if you already have one and there seems to be less reason to buy a slower one if you already have the 2.66

Sorry but your post is a tad confusing compounded by EOL.

3. minusten thread starter macrumors member

I have a 2.66, but it will have to go back due to faults. If I have any problems locating another as it's discontinued, I'm trying to discover if a 2.4 is a good option. All other questions as above still apply.

By the way, previous generation = End of line or EOL

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has plenty of refurbs to repair your computer. They would not offer you a 2.4 from a prior generation if they were unable to repair your laptop. What's more likely to occur is that they'd give you a new one but that happens very rarely.

5. minusten thread starter macrumors member

To keep this thread going (or perhaps simplify things), please take my personal circumstances out of the equation as I'd still appreciate comments comparing the 2.4 to 2.66.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had answered your question. You're not going to notice much of a speed difference between the 2.4 and the 2.6. The deciding factors are the cpu speed and L2 cache. So much so its probably not going to be very noticeable.