MacBook Pro 2.4 Unibody - Random Restarts, any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProstheticHead, Dec 22, 2009.

1. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

So I recently purchased one of the discontinued unibody MBPs from my local Apple reseller, got the warranty reset to the proper date, etc etc.

However, I have had this thing randomly, without warning, restart on me. There's no real rhyme nor reason to these restarts. It has happened twice now. Once while I was opening World of Warcraft and another just while the computer was sitting idle. The only warning sign is that my USB mouse goes all wonky and jumps around then BAM restart.

Currently I'm running the Apple Hardware Test on it and typing this from my iMac across the room, it hasn't failed anything yet, but then again it's only been running for a few minutes.

Does anyone else know of a possible fix? Is this something I'm going to have to ship off for repairs? I'm a little unhappy that one of my speakers sounds as though it is failing as well, so I should probably just buck up and send it off anyway while it's still under warranty.

UPDATE

Ran the Apple Hardware Test and it came up with nothing. I performed the extended test so as to be certain, no failures. So who knows.

2. segers909 macrumors regular

If the hardware test was negative and the problem didn't go away, you could try reinstalling os x. If that does not work, take it back to the apple reseller.
    Also, are you sure it wasn't overheating when it shut down?

3. ProstheticHead thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. That was my first thought, but upon touching it it felt no warmer than usual. I may have to try a reinstallation. Hopefully that helps out. Don't really want it to be a logic board failing on me, but if I has to fail, might as well have it happen under warranty.