MacBook Pro 2.4 Video card problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mel64, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mel64 macrumors newbie

mel64

My MBP has been playing up for a while now by not waking from sleep. The problem comes and goes and I can't pin point any particular item that sets it off.

After setting the screen saver last night before bed I woke this morning to no screen at all. The computer still runs and I can control it from my iMac with Screen Sharing. The external monitor is left plugged in.

If I check the display prefs there are no screens at all, only 4 resolutions. I have restarted, Reset the Power Management but it still won't show up.

Has anyone seen this one before?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

have you tried it without the external display plugged in?

3. mel64 thread starter macrumors newbie

mel64

Yes, With & without monitor, keyboard, mouse, power adapter. Nothing makes a difference.

It has had the normal problems with screen not waking from sleep but they were fixed by the last few updates. But one thing it started doing two weeks ago is it won't stay on with out the power adaptor for longer than 4 minutes. It not a constant time it has turned off after 2 minutes.

I thought this time the power may have been disconnected but it was fine.

I am still able to use it via screen sharing.

I just looked at the system profiler and this is what it said under Graphics/ Display. This is with the external display on -

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
    Type: Display
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x2a02
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Displays:
    Display Connector:

I thought I paid for a 256mb card

Thanks

4. Fabiano macrumors regular

What?

are you sure you have a Macbook Pro?

with this GPU it only could be a 13" Macbook or a Macbook Air

any Macbook Pro has nVidia GPU, or ATI (older ones)

5. gr8bob macrumors regular

I'd assume you have a Late 2007 Merom/Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pro? I've read about this issue with MBP's having their NVIDIA GPU's recognized as Intel GMA X3100 (FYI, it's somewhere in the Apple discussions forum). This is another case of the "NVIDIA GPU Gone Bad" that people are still denying.

If you still have any warranty left, I'd suggest you to check it in and request them to have the logic board replaced.

6. crobbins macrumors 6502

I would think warranty or not..this might constitute a fix either way. I've read where some people with odd video card issues are getting their machines fixed out of warranty (on the newer MacBook Pros).

7. mel64 thread starter macrumors newbie

mel64

Yes its a Macbook Pro 2.4 purchased in November 2007.

Thanks, I found the post on the Apple forums and will be ringing support today.

Thanks again.

8. mel64 thread starter macrumors newbie

mel64

This morning it still was dead but this afternoon I went to do BU's and it was alive again. Now the system profile says.

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0407
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3175
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Built-In: Yes
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    SyncMaster:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported

Can I log this with Apple so if it happens again they have a record?

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Hey man join the club. Apple needs to address this soon. I was one of the ones that had the logic board replaced out of warranty more for graphical glitches however my SR MBP exhibitted this behavior on two occasions.

I'm hoping this will all come down to firmware issues. Well we can only hope anyway.

10. mel64 thread starter macrumors newbie

mel64

its gone again. You maybe right, All the problems with the screen not waking from sleep has been happening for months. I can't say for sure but it maybe around the last Firmware update.

I will take it to my local Apple centre here as we don't have an Apple store in Brisbane yet.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm starting to believe that when Nvidia announced that the "older generation with certain notebook configurations" models that fall under those specifications are the "merom" 07' 2.2ghz and 2.4ghz mbp models.

Maybe its due to the 65nm chipset that gets too hot on top of the nvidia gpu diode instead of the 45nm of the penryn?

But then again the penryn models havent been out longer than the year of the merom models that worries me.

12. mel64 thread starter macrumors newbie

mel64

They replaces the logic board and battery under warranty but now I can't see the network or shared printers.

I think it may have something to do with the changing Mac addresses but I will post that in that forum