Macbook Pro 2.4 vs. 2.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by halsabti, Dec 24, 2008.

1. halsabti macrumors newbie

halsabti

I just bought the Macbook pro 2.4 and it is not as responsive as I was hoping. (I use lightroom 2.2 and photoshop)
    My question is , would I see a lot of different if I switch it to the 2.5.

Help please....

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

No, you would not see a lot of difference. Upgrade the RAM and possibly get a 7200RPM hard drive, you'll see a greater difference by going that route.

3. ACiB708 macrumors regular

I also have the 2.4 MBP and I use Logic Pro. It is very fast and responsive, and I only have 2GB RAM, but I've already order the 4GB kit from Crucial. Going for .1 more of processor power will not make much of a difference. As the above poster wrote, get a 7200 RPM HDD (I recommend this one).

Getting the faster HDD will make a great difference when loading big files, starting big applications (such as the ones you use), and even in boot times. Also get the memory upgrade 4GB is more than enough for what you need.

With those two upgrades you'll see a great difference. Hope this helped!

4. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Max the RAM and get the fastest Hard Disk you can get your hands on. If you have the cash get a Intel SSD and you will see a dramatic improvement.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

What most people here seem to be forgetting is that with the 2.53Ghz model, you get a bigger HD, 4GB of RAM, and double the CPU cache. Is it worth it? Well, in your particular situation, probably not.

That is, once you factor in the restocking fee, it would simply cost too much. Like most have said, you're better off upgrading the RAM and HD yourself - I doubt the CPU speed/cache will make a substantial difference.

Hope that helps!

6. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

OK here is the deal. Apple WANTS you to think there is a big difference, but really there is almost none. 100 mhz is close to nothing. If you want better performance, consider upgrading the RAM like previous posts said. 2 GB is probably the best for smooth operating, 4 GB is advisable for programs like photoshop CS3 and up.
    Another problem could be a slow hard drive like previous posts mention. Apple likes to put slow drives in their computers, so consider buying a Hitachi travelstar SATA 2.5" drive and using a mirroring program to transfer all your data, thus creating a bootable clone disc. I believe that the Apple store "geniuses" do this for you, but I may be incorrect.

7. halsabti thread starter macrumors newbie

halsabti

Thanks guys a lot. That really helps.. much appreciated :)

So what do you guys think for the Ram, Samsung or OWC?

I may save a couple of bucks in the samsung but is it worth it or does it really matter?

Thanks again.

8. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

The best RAM comes from crucial.com. You can find you machine using a tool on the home page. The site is very intuitive and once your machine model comes up it gives you data on your options for memory upgrading. The prices are pretty reasonable as well, and the build quality is just great.

again:
    www.crucial.com

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I suspect your system is running like a snail with the default RAM specs, I know mine was... Don't forget the OS needs most of the 2Gb and your applications and files will need access to RAM too!!

If it's the non-unibody version and you're really in the need for more RAM, you can always expand it to 6Gb (4Gb + 2Gb) but you'll lose a tiny bit of speed cause it's no longer dual channel.