MacBook Pro 2.4 vs. Unibody MacBook 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duff booze, May 5, 2009.

1. duff booze macrumors newbie

I currently have an 11 month old MacBook Pro 2.4 4GB RAM 15 inch (non-unibody) and am thinking about selling it and getting the new 13 inch 2.4 4GB RAM MacBook instead. I would like to have the portability of a 13 inch computer because I am always taking my MBP places and wish it was a bit smaller.

My question is, would I notice much of a performance difference between the two? I am very satisfied with the GeForce 8600 (for now at least, pending any upcoming problems) and was wondering how the two compare based on performance. I have read that the 9400 is better at rendering and playing HD movies, but I mostly use my MBP for music, word processing, light photo and video editing and internet access.

Any constructive input would be well-appreciated.

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

It all depends if you're going to be playing games or anything that will need the true power of the 9600m gt.

As for watching hd movies and stuff the 9400m is perfectly fine for that.

So basically it all depends on wether you need the 9600m GT.

Mind that the MacBook 13" screen has crappy viewing angles compared to the 15" screen of the Pro, it gets annoying in dark scenes in some movies.

I went for the MacBook instead of the Pro as the size was a really important factor, 15" is just too big for a laptop imo.

3. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

From what you've listed, it seems the unibody MB would be fine, although you're going to lose a chunk of screen realestate. Infact, with the new Macs having a faster FSB and DDR3 memory, you might find video editing is marginally quicker

4. duff booze thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, would there be any difference in speaker quality? I listen to a lot of music, so speaker quality would be important for me as well.

5. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

The MacBook has a loud and clear sound loud enough to fill a 10meter square room, the max level is too loud, i never play music at more then half or around that, and the sound is clear with little bass, it's perfect for a laptop. As for the MacBook Pro i never heard one i can't compare but the MacBook ones are fine.