Macbook Pro 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vramd, May 9, 2008.

1. vramd macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how the new entry-level 2.4 MBP compares with the last gen mid-level 2.4 in terms of performance? Is it worth and extra $200 to get the new one? Hard drive space is not an issue for me.

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

I'm not 100% sure, but i think they're the same processor.

The graphics are the main difference in MBP's over the last 1-2 years

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The older 2.4 is merom CPU with 4 MB L2 cache, while the current 2.4 is Penryn with 3 MB L2 cache.

According to benchmarks the old one is slightly faster, but runs a bit hotter.

The graphics card is the same on both.

Keep in mind that penryn doesnt have Remote included.

4. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

And also the multi touch trackpad is the other main difference if I'm not mistaken.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've owned both so the older one runs alot hotter (I dont like to put it on my lap), no multitouch trackpad, performance seems the same to me on both models.

That's about it but IMHO the extra $200 is worth it for the much cooler running operation + a bit more battery life (something like 20-30 minutes) + multitouch (I love the 3 finger swipe to go back and foward on safari). Also when they implement the SSE4.1 instruction sets in some applications you'll be more future proof.