Macbook pro 2.5(unibody) slow boot-up!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mladenz, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mladenz macrumors regular

Hi guys and girls,

I got a problem and need your help, let me describe the problem.

It's simple, one day i started my mbp and the startup took soo much longer to load then normal. It loads up fine till i see my background, then it takes prox. 20 seconds for the bars to pop up. Then a program called "FinderX" loads en dissappears after a couple seconds. The mbp is slower in the startup then it was and should be. My imac 24inch 2,4ghz is way faster then my mbp at startup.

If runned a maintenence script with leopard cash cleaner and checked my HD for faults, but i can't find the problem. And i got all updates.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

EDIT: i have parallels installed and adobe programm's with a huge font database(i read somewhere that the fonts cause problems).

Thanks,

Mladen

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

When I heard about the FinderX thing I though a virus. Is FinderX a application that loads on the dock or does a window pop up? I googled it and didn't find anything.

3. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

Well its just appears on my dock:)

edit: I've figured the finderx thing out, it was part of leopard cache cleaner. But the mbp still boots up slow

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Oh, well is it in the Applications folder? And how much longer (about percentage) does it take to load up. Have you added any large applications like Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Photoshop, After Effects? Because I have all of those and it takes about 1.5 mins to boot.

5. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

I only have Adobe master suite installed, the total size of my application folder is just 15gb.

It takes around 1,5 min. to boot, but the problem is that i've always had the same ammount of applications and it always booted up fast.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I don't know about parallels but I can imagine it could affect boot up speed for the worse. As I said before I have a lot of big apps and my boot up it pretty slow. I also have a huge font database (1000+) but I haven't noticed any problems. All of my fonts are in Font Book and download files deleted. They are also all .ttf.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

So applications are not the problem. BTW only Master Suite. Thats like almost every application they make! My applications folder is 10.5 GB. Did you mean 1 to 5 minute boot up 1 and a half (1.5) minute boot up or 15 min boot up? And can you remember any thing that you added or disconnected/deleted from your computer?

8. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

i mean 1 minute and 30 seconds:p

Well i only use my external harddisk, mouse, speakers and camera.

Maby i should try deleting parallels and see what happens?

Can my mbp slow down because of really low temperatures?

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

try going into syspref and setting the boot disk to your OSX.

That has done wonders in the past. Now this may be a post-apple logo boot problem, which that will probably NOT fix.

10. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I found that after I installed an external drive, my boot up time increased.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I think 1.5 mins to boot is pretty normal for 15GB of apps.

12. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

If done it, but what do you mean with the post-apple logo boot problem?

Dont think so, because i have always had minimum of 15gb and it never booted up so slow.

Im using this external drive for quite a time now and this is a fresh problem so don't think that the external causes problems.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know what your slow is, but I know iStat slows my boot and VMWare or Parallels brings my boot time to around 5 minutes.

14. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

How long does it take for your mac to start up?

15. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Im up and running in 30 seconds, with VMware installed, as well as istat pro menus, and dashboard.

16. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

How much GB applications do you have? Should i use VMware instead of Parallels, what do you think?

17. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

18. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

Ive accidently cleared my host in my terminal, maby this causes the slow bootup?

But when i try to paste it back to normal i press ctrl + x --> Y. But then this shows up "File Name to Write: etc/hosts" but i dont know how to save it and like which name.

19. numbersys macrumors newbie

weird sudden slow down

last night while downloading torrents, and watching netflix "watch now" silverlight plugin online movies and letting the unibody heat up a little it it crashed.(this is an admission that i do make heavy demands on it)

on my menu bar i got menumeters that show my processors usage in 2 litle bars.... usually the processors indicate sort of medium level usage with user load smallish and system load taking up the bulk, but usually they hover around 50% load. well last night when it crashed the screen froze up and i noticed that one of the bars got locked at full.

i restarted but i got the super slow boot, like about 10 minutes... first the apple load screen, for about 4 mins and then the blue screen for what seemed forever... i took a nap, woke up and the power saver turned the screen off... i hard restarted it and it got stuck on blue, i then restared again (attempt 3) and then i restarted holding D to run the hardware diagnostic, it said the hardware was all good (i was worried about some hardware failure from the video card meltdown everyone online was warning about) i restarted (#4) and still got stuck on the blue screen... so i ran the in depth diagnostic (took over an hour) i fell asleep... when i woke up it said the hardware was ok so i turned it off and called it a night. this morning i restarted the computer (#5) and the boot time was about 4 minutes.

i was happy that it started at all, but since then i have noticed that one of the two processor menumeter bars is ALWAYS maxed out. and it is a system load, at first it made me think that one processor is junk, but then it switches... so sometimes it's one of the duo, sometimes it's the other one...

i've only used it about 2 hours all day today, but i have noticed and overall slowdown in my programs, mostly photoshop and flock. yesterday it was fine, today it sucks

i need this puter for work, no joke... i can't afford to have a slow computer that crashes... what gives, if i can't find a workaround i need to return this bitch