MacBook Pro: 2.53 or 2.8 ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ccamire, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ccamire macrumors newbie

Here’s my question…

I’m buying a MacBook Pro this week, and I can’t decide whether to get the 2.53 ghz model or the 2.8 ghz model. I don’t play games, but I will be recording a lot of music. I’ll be using some sort of audio recording program, producing songs with as many as 20 tracks each with lots of effects like reverb, compression, etc.

I also want this to be the only computer I use (for internet, photos, word processing, maybe some video) for at least the next six years.

So what do you think? Is it worth the extra dough to upgrade to the 2.8 ghz model, or is the 2.53 ghz model a better value?

This will be my first Mac. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. kid rock macrumors regular

if this is going to be your only machine for 6 years then i say do it, as you will be able top stay ahead of the minimum specs for software for longer,

plus i doubt many people will actually get the 2.8 upgrade so when it comes to selling yours it will make it worth more and more desireable

hope that helps

simon

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

If you check the benchmarks at macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/136757/2008/11/macbookpro28ghz.html), most tests are only a few seconds apart for a $300 upgrade. You could take the savings and upgrade the RAM to 4GB and HDD to 7200rpm instead. You'll see more overall performance with those upgrades. You could even downgrade from the 320 Gb stock drive to a 250 GB 7200rpm drive and save money, but improve performance.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is the route I'd recommend also. Actually, I doubt you'll see that much difference between 2.53 ghz and 2.8 ghz; however, by all accounts, there is a considerable difference between 2 RAM and 4 RAM. Go for the lower spec and buy extra RAM .

Cheers and good luck

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Also, the BTO pros are a PITA to repair or exchange if you have any defects or issues with them.

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Those MacWorld tests actually show pretty reasonable improvements. The cost/benefit ratio is your call, of course. One other thing to consider is the power consumption. I don't know if the 2.53 GHz and the 2.8 Ghz differ in that regard, but surely someone around here knows the numbers. :)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've been buying top of the line components for years. I just got the 2.53 this time. Result? Why the heck was I wasting my money all these years!

So get the 2.53GHz. You can upgrade sooner and you won't lose as much in depreciation.

Seriously, when you sell it, nobody will really care if it's 2.8 or 2.53—you'll pretty much get the same for either. Also the boost isn't worth it.