Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz Mid 2009 Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gibbo132, Jan 31, 2010.

1. gibbo132 macrumors regular

Twice now my macbook pro has been put to sleep (just by shutting the lid, don't know if it makes any difference than pressing sleep from the :apple: menu?) and the screen will not go off just go black, the fans will continue to run and the sleep light will stay white not pulsing like normal.
    I have to force the computer to shut down and then when it boots normally it will then take me to the login page usually seen after the computer is put to sleep.
    Last time this happened i put the laptop in my sleeve not knowing the fans were still running so the hot air was being pushed through the computer making it way to hot to touch, it also drained the battery (don't know if thats because of the fans having to work so hard to cool the machine?) When I got home and plugged it in it said that OS X had an unexpected error or something like that.
    Should I be worried? Has this happened to anybody else?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

This may be the same issue I am/was having. I just too it in to the apple store and it seems like it needs a new logic board from my reading. My MBP would go to sleep and then I would have a black screen and it wouldn't display anything until I held the power button down and restarted it. Apple said they'd have it done in about 4-5 days.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Try resetting the PRAM (find the procedure on apple's site) and SMC (I think that's what it is. On mine you do it by unplugging the power and battery and holding the power button for 5 seconds. If yours doesn't have a removable battery I don't know how you would do that).