MacBook Pro 2.6 classic v MacBook Pro 2.3 retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theking79, Feb 9, 2013.

1. theking79 macrumors 6502

I'm buying one of these models, but I'm not sure which to go for.

If I get the 2.3 retina I will be upgrading to a 2.6 processor when I buy it. If I get the 2.6 classic I will be upgrading to the high res screen.

I've heard that the retina has a faster graphics card, is this true? And I know you can't upgrade the retina model so I'm not sure about the retina one.

I'm looking for advice from people who have maybe tried both, and people who have had experience with the retina model as I keep hearing on here that there are many problems with them.

Regarding usage, I'm a graphic designer so I will be using illustrator, indesign and photoshop all at the same time, as well as a few browser tabs, mail etc.

2. Suney macrumors newbie

will you be upgrading the hdd to a SSD if you went for the classic?

the screen on the retina is so much nicer, have you compared the two in store yet?

3. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have seen the retina in store yes, I will probably get an ssd at a later date if I got the classic.

4. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Retina GPU has twice as much vRam if I recall. Secondly, its significantly lighter and thinner. The non-ugrade thing sucks, but there is so much in laptops you have never been able to upgrade. I guess ram and HDD was just the next step. the machine is simply too thin + apple makes a ton of bucks charging a premium for the upgrades.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Same exact video card and vRam.