MacBook Pro 2.66 i7 (2010) Video Card Problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellodon, Jul 9, 2012.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

I posted this as a reply to another post but it seems to have gone unnoticed and I'm really in need of some advice on what to do - looking for others who have experienced these problems, dealt with Apple, had parts replaced...ANYTHING related to the issues would be helpful. I KNOW I'm not alone here, this seems to be a known issue with this model. I've found tons of people talking about it, but I have yet to find anyone that has FIXED this...below is my copy/pasted post from another thread. It's kind of lengthy, but if anyone can help that'd be amazing. I'm in worse shape now than ever and I am afraid to just go to Apple out of warranty.

Thanks! Here goes...

------

I have been having strange video card issues since installing Lion the week it came out. It seemed to come and go, sometimes worse than others but last fall things got bad. Kernel Panics galore (I have kept logs of all 25 of them since November-ish) along with several straight up freezes forcing me to restart.

This was all AFTER Lion was installed so it seemed that it was software related. Needless to say, I haven't been a big fan of Lion because of it.

Someone recommended installing gfxCardStatus which I did and it was helpful. The graphics card switching was usually what caused me problems, so having control of it kept me working okay for months. I actually left it using "Integrated Only" for a while now with barely any issues. Tonight, for some reason I was having issues with being able to drag and drop files. No idea what happened. I could move Finder windows around no problem but not files. I knew I had some software updates to do so I figured kill 2 birds with one stone. Instead of just restarting, I did a software update with a list of 8 or 9 little updates I had and let it restart when finished.

When it came back, it came back to a glitched up looking screen pretty bad (picture below). a little more than half of the screen was just lines, and the left side I could see my desktop and move around. I tried 2 restarts and it kept coming back to the same thing. I couldn't see the top bar enough to click my gfxCardStatus to see if that would do anything, so in a panic, I plugged in my external and started throwing everything I could on it.

While files were transferring, I kept clicking the top bar hoping to get access to my gfxCardStatus menu - eventually I did and was able to click "Discrete Only", and BOOM, my screen went back to normal. If I switched back to "Integrated Only", the glitched screen came back.

So that's where I'm at now. Before, leaving it on "Integrated Only" was the only thing that kept things running smooth for me - with no freezes or kernel panics, and using dynamic which would switch between integrated and the nvidia was causing the problem - now it seems I've gotta use my nVidia ONLY and Integrated is giving me that glitch...what the heck?!

Whatever updates were done that night caused some new issue with my video and it looks like someone else, quoted below, had the same thing happen! This computer ran flawlessly up until installing Lion. I don't have Extended Apple Care...so obviously at this point my warranty is up. I know sometimes they work with you and sometimes they don't when it comes to warranty being up. It just depends on the issue - this seems to be a pretty known issue with this model, everyone with the computer seems to know about it, but does Apple acknowledge that there's a problem and help with it? I can't find any info on that.

I honestly haven't had to go to the genius bar often in my decade of using Mac's. Usually it has been iPhone things. Once or twice I had to bring one of my iMac's in and they helped me out of warranty...so to me, I just never found it worth it to buy Apple Care. When I had a hard drive failure on my iMac, they replaced it out of warranty at no charge. They also chipped my screen when they did that which was awesome, and they had to replace that as well. Since then - it sometimes gets fogged up which is just great - but that's a whole other issue.

What I'm wondering now is, since this seems to be a known problem with this model - will they attempt to help out of warranty? Sounds like some of you have had logic boards replaced, done complete formats, had other things replaced and "fixed"...but it doesn't sound like ANYTHING 100% seems to fix it which just doesn't make sense. How is this completely "unfixable"? Everything I've read has just been work arounds or things of the sort...I don't know what the hell to do! Before it was my integrated card that worked, and now it seems it's going to be the nvidia for however long..until something screws that up - then what? If BOTH video cards end up with issues, I'm screwed!

Sounds like its an issue specifically with these models? I have a 15" MBP 2.66 i7, 4GB of RAM with the integrated intel HD Graphics and the NVIDIA GT 330M with the super amazing/super infuriating graphics switching problematic BS.

Looks like in the NEW MBP, they're back to using ONE - so I'm assuming that's proof right there that they realize that 2 isn't a good idea, more specifically with Lion - which is when my problems began.

I know there are more of you out there, I'd love to hear your stories. Can anyone help? Has anyone successfully overcome this issue and "FIXED" it completely? Any suggestions on what to do? Should I take it to Apple or am I just looking for a costly repair bill out of this that isn't going to actually "fix" anything?

Sorry for the lengthy post - if anyone can offer any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. What happened tonight has really thrown me off completely. I thought before that the nvidia was the card causing trouble, more specifically the switching back and forth with Lion, but now it seems it's the integrated that is the issue - it seems like it might be shot after whatever updates happened...so I'm just lost...all I know is that gfxCardStatus is one of the best tools ever created. Without that, many of us would have been a lot MORE screwed than we are...but I'm still not in good shape at all. I feel like this is going to completely go leaving me without a computer if I don't figure out what's up and get it taken care of ASAP!

----------

I didn't even see your post before posting my own - but it sounds like we're in the same boat and your post is from just a few days ago - so some recent update caused this...I just don't know which one. I wasn't really paying attention to the updates I did...but with the timing and what you said happened, its pretty clear that some new software update did this...CRAP!

[​IMG]

2. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update in case anyone is having this same issue...

I've been using Mountain Lion for a couple days now, and I dont want to speak too soon...but so far everything has been running AMAZINGLY well. No trouble with video, kernel panics, lock ups...etc.

I wasnt sure what would happen, but took a shot with ML and I am back to using dynamic video...switching back and forth between the integrated and the nvidia...and its working surpringly well. This is great news because I figured my intel on board video was shot after what happened...and as I type this, it's running with no issues. I've had it switch to discrete multiple times with no trouble. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...but so far, Mountain Lion may be heroic!

Good luck to those in the same boat. I know you're out there..even though no one replied :eek:

3. garthcn macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I have the mid-2010 Macbook Pro i5 model with the same graphic chips.

I restarted the mac yesterday and try to boot Windows, but it froze.
    Then I restarted again, booted Lion, and my screen became garbled like in your picture.

Now I'm using gfxCard to force discrete-only and it's fine now.

Since we got the same problem around the same time, I guess it's Software Update's fault. It looks they fixed it in Mountain Lion according to your lastest post. Hopefully the fix is permanent...

4. iKristoffer macrumors newbie

Mid 2010 (330m gt, i7@2.66) user here.

Had the same problem some time ago. When I updated to Lion, i would get random kernel panics when using the 330m. Read a lot about it, and heard several others who had replaced their logic boards which then fixed the problem.

So I had my logic board replaced, and not a single problem since. Some people had to replace their logic boards several times before the error disappeared.

Before, i could trigger the the crash by using the 330m and using mission control (on/off/on/off ... etc).

5. ddexter macrumors newbie

Some thoughts

The same thing happens to me (with the same model). I've noticed that this happened after an Apple update a few weeks ago. When I look in the energy options in system preferences, it alternates between the old checkbox for automatic graphic switching and a new radio button system where one can select either graphics switching or high performance only. Perhaps the graphics card is getting confused. Often, I'll have the gfxCardStatus force integrated graphics (with the same black and white nearly unreadable results that you experienced) and open the energy preferences to see the high performance radio button checked or the automatic graphics switching checkbox unchecked. I don't know why it gives me two different methods nor why it changes to these options as I never change it away from the automatic graphics switching. Restarting alternating between safe mode and normal login sometimes fixes the integrated issue, which leads me to believe it's software, not hardware related.

Additionally, when I set gfxCardStatus to dynamic switching, it will sit in the integrated graphics mode and even says that I am using the Intel chip, but the second I switch it to integrated only, the screen goes nuts.

I am glad to hear that mountain lion seems to be fixing all your problems. I tried taking my MBP to get the logic board replaced, but they wouldn't honor it because it didn't have the original RAM. I had replaced the RAM when lion first came out because, by then, my computer was out of normal warranty and I suspected the crashes were being caused by faulty RAM. I tried explaining all of this to the Apple "genius", but Apple was far less than helpful. I really do hope that ML fixes both of these issues. I'd hate to think I've ended up with a $2200 paperweight.

Please keep us informed as to whether or not you're still experiencing smooth sailing while the rest of us wait for the non-developer release.

Thanks!

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Read this: https://github.com/codykrieger/gfxCardStatus/issues/77#issuecomment-7046331

Apparently the guy who makes gfxcardstatus thinks its an inherent hardware problem that is exposed with software. It's strange though because it only started happening after the recent gfxcardstatus update.

Like I said before, I got my logic board replaced and even though it is still the same 2010 logic board, apparently the newer ones with a certain part code is updated to address graphics issues so I'm really confused as to the source of the problem.

7. ddexter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately Apple won't replace my logic board. It's good to know gfxCardStatus will be patched.

8. poW403 macrumors newbie

Keep us informed on your progress with Mountain Lion Hellodon. Maybe they have been tired of receiving the Panic logs, and fixed the problem?

9. jamesmerize macrumors newbie

Exact same problem

Hello,

I have the exact same issue as the original poster of this thread - the grey, distorted screen appears at random and is now occurring at least once a day. Interestingly enough, my screen looks near IDENTICAL to the original posters with vertical distortion bars in the same distribution and also while viewing the desktop. I was able to view that the integrated graphics were the issue through the distorted image. The computer itself was not frozen and partially viewing the menus allowed me to put the computer to sleep then awaken it with the issue disappearing! Naturally I feel this is a graphics card issue. Myq uestion is should I take the laptop into the apple store for repair? Should I demand a logic board replacement? And at what age would apple consider replacing the entire unit with a new laptop?

I am using OSX Lion for months without issue - this issue just started this week. (Approx 07/21-onward)

Thanks.

10. ddexter macrumors newbie

I have the same issue as well. It turns out that this is caused as a result of the gfxCardStatus 2.2.1 release. Going back a previous version will fix this. I can also get rid of the integrated graphics problem described by the original poster by closing and then reopening my MBP lid, but this is not a permanent fix. I don't think there is anything wrong with the integrated graphics. It may have to do with the way Apple does graphic switching.

11. ddexter macrumors newbie

For anyone who is interested, the update to Mountain Lion did not resolve either problem on my 15" mid-2010 MBP

12. garthcn macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with Lion. Just updated to Mountain Lion today and still have the same issue.

13. jamesmerize macrumors newbie

Sounds like a hardware problem...would explain why I've been fine for months on Lion and it just begins one day...now a regular occurrence.

14. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

This just started happening to me too. 15" 2010 MBP running Mountain Lion.

Surely this is software related... It's too widespread to be hardware.

15. ddexter macrumors newbie

The flickering black and white screen is caused by gfxCardStatus. It is a known issue that should be fixed in the next release.

16. jamesmerize macrumors newbie

How is that possible for graphics card status to be the issue - it's not a rendering program, it tells one which card is in USE. This makes little to no sense. Can anyone who has any remote understanding of how this program operates explain how a status indicator causes graphics corruption?

----------

From the source:
    codykrieger commented a month ago
    Sorry about that Markus – unfortunately the issue is that 15" MBPs from 2010 were manufactured with some hardware defects that are causing this. Apple has been replacing affected machines' logic boards, so you can do that if you want, or if v2.1 worked for you, you can download that here: http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/changelog

17. ddexter macrumors newbie

Yes. The MBP graphics problems are old news. The black and white flickering garbage screen is fairly recent (with the introduction of gfxCardStatus 2.2.1)
    Also "from the source":
    While the bug is ultimately on Apple's end, it is only ever triggered with gfxCardStatus 2.2.1. Cody has indicated that this will be fixed in the next version of gfxCardStatus being released in the next few days.

18. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that downgrading back to gfxCardStatus v2.1 (found here) solves the screen flickering issue introduced by v2.2.1.

19. baileuz macrumors newbie

Mid 2010 MBP 2.66 i7 gfx problems...

Hi, I read many of your posts, and I experienced the same problems. Black screen and so on...
    here is the news... Apple will exchange the logic board of any affected computers free of charge, up to 3 years after purchasing date. I just got it replaced today. I'm the second owner of this Macbook pro, also I put in a used SSD drive, so I opened it and still they replaced it free of charge.

Last. there is a Snow leopard update and a lion update addressing this problems ( follow the links ... Apple Homepage)

(Logicboard-replacement-guaranty)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

(Snowleopard)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1475

(Lion)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1469

In case the updates won't work for you, make a genius bar appointment, tell them that the dedicated graficcard is faulty and show them the homepage (first link)

Cheers

20. ddexter macrumors newbie

Did you have the SSD in at the time? The first time I was turned away for not having the RAM that came with the computer. =\

21. baileuz macrumors newbie

Replaced Logic board with upgraded RAM and 3rd party SSD

Hi Title says it. Apple changed the logic board for free although I'm not the first owner. I also upgraded the SSD and the Ram. Apple run a video card test which the computer failed. So they changed the logic board for free.

take care