MacBook Pro 2.66 i7 vs. 13" MacBook Pro 2.66 with SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teerexx52, Oct 17, 2010.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have someone locally selling a latest 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.66 4GB Ram with a 128GB SSD. He claims it would perform as well as a 15" MacBook Pro 2.66 i7 with a standard drive. I'm interested for my wife but she is a high end Mac user of aperture, imovie and such. He wants $1300 for the 13" 6 months old. Would this be a good deal for m y wife? Would its performance compare to the i7? Thanks

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Since your wife uses iMovie, I imagine she renders videos, which will be a LOT faster in the i7. SSD will imporve times for loading images in Aperture and booting though.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

SSDs do very little for actual productivity. both iMovie and Aperture will demand much more of he CPU than the HD. Aperture specifically also wants lots of system RAM and video RAM, and a 13" can only provide one of those.

4. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thank you very much.

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Could you tell me why Aperture requires a lot of video ram?

6. toxic macrumors 68000

I can't tell you why, I just know it uses a lot when making adjustments, and using an external monitor uses up some (half?), too...if you run out of VRAM, Aperture adjustments slow down to a crawl.

7. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

as a user of aperture and I have an ssd in my macbook pro (the one in my sig) I can tell you that the ssd won't truly matter because any aperture library would fill up the ssd. I have my library on an external 500 gb firewire 800 drive.

What really matters in aperture is RAM. I have 8 GB and aperture sometimes could eat more.

As others said iMovie and any other video processing would take advantage of the i7 processor.

Personally I think its clear that you should go with the i7. SSD's are nice but boot times and faster app start ups are the only real world advantage that I can see in this case.

8. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I totally agree