Macbook Pro 2.6GHz 17" HD Screen Buy Now or Wait Jan 15th ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackgmc, Dec 19, 2007.

1. blackgmc macrumors member

I want to purchase a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz with the 17" HD screen is it worth to buy now or wait till Jan 15th?

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

wait till jan 15, 2010. that is when the MOST updated version of the 17" MBP comes out. if you buy now or in 2008, you'll just be purchasing outdated hardware.

3. billmister macrumors 6502

I would say depends on your needs. Do you NEED it now? or do you just WANT it now?... If you NEED it then go ahead and buy it. If you are going to wait till Jan to purchase it, will the reason be saving some cash?.. Because if that's the reason i think you will save $100 at most? Buying a MacBook Pro i don't think that's the reason.

GL

4. billmister macrumors 6502

X1000000

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Buy it when you need it. The new ones, if there are new ones in January, will only be incrementally faster and a speed bump you would be unlikely to notice.

Unless.....you're one of those people prone to buyer's remorse, and will feel really bad about yourself if your MacBook isn't the very latest and greatest. I see that a lot here on MacRumors.

6. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

that's why he needs to wait until jan 15, 2010. if he buys before then, he'll only be investing in outdated hardware.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If I were you, I would totally wait. There is no point if Apple will come out with better processors in about 1 month. Plus you never know what might happen this time. If you don't like the new one, you could find a new one or a buy an Apple Refurb.

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

That's what I bought about a month ago (except I have the 2.4GHz model), and I am very happy with it. Sure, there'll be better things out there sooner (maybe) or later (guaranteed) for the same or less money, but I've used mine quite a bit and do not regret purchasing it.

So, if this is the computer you like today and can afford, go for it. Whenever the new model comes out, try to not think about the opportunity you missed, but rather think of all the awesome things you can do with the hardware you will then have.

- Martin

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Well said, sir. :)

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

Outdated hardware indeed...:rolleyes:. There's a vast difference between "outdated hardware" and hardware that's not state-of-the-art. The people who are waiting think, either consciously or unconsciously, that these new computer supposedly coming out in January will be some kind of holy grail of personal computing. In reality, they're likely to be tweaked MacBooks with a little faster processor, a little broader chip set, a little faster video card. In the end, they'll only be a little faster than current models. And there will be inevitable teething bugs for early adopters. No consumer in the world can pi$$ and moan like a disappointed Apple fan-boy, and since online forums were invented, Apple hasn't ever released a product that didn't generate a vast degree of anti-Apple discussion. I can clearly envision the teeth-gnashing, shrieking and whining to come on these forums on January 16th.

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I would wait, but then again I've been waiting since October. Yea, I have the patience of a saint.

12. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

I'm too lazy to do a search, but somewhere in the last month in this forum I posted about new 16:9 ratio screens from Samsung, which are supposedly more energy efficient than current LED screens which means longer battery life...as opposed to 16:10 ration screens Apple uses now, IB, in 18.2in? and 16in sizes, based on newer LED technology, 2nd gen or beyone current MBP 15.4in LED, which are not turning out to be the best...early adopters ;). I'm guessing the incremental upgrade to the MBP with Penryn, in that it will be based on the same Santa Rosa chipset, isn't likely to be that great of an update....unless an HD LED screen makes it into the 17in (or 18.2in 16:9 ratio) model or 15.4in (which could be a 16in 16:9 ratio...same height, wider screen).

But I would expect to see these improvements probably not sooner than the new Monteviña chipset which should make it into the MBP/MB by next summer. Can you wait that long? All depends if you can wait. If it doesn't hurt, wait until January MWSF. If it doesn't matter that much, wait until next summer when a Blu-Ray burner optical drive should be standard in a MBP (probably 4x speed too), along with 128GB SSD drive option, and likely more energy efficient DDR3 RAM running at slightly faster speed, along with slightly faster GPU's etc, faster Penryn CPU's. All of that could come within the next 6mo. ;).

13. southside2006 macrumors newbie

Wait till January

Let me tell you a little story of what I heard right from the Regional Manager for Apple. 2 weeks ago I was in an Apple Store ( not named to protect the Regional Manager ) I am a big Apple fan so I am in there all the time. As I was getting ready to purchase my 17 MBP I was called to the side by this individual who knew me as a regular and valued customer. He asked me how bad I needed the 17 Inch MBP? I advised him " NOT THAT BAD" he said great. He told me in a very certain voice " Wait" till January and be a happier customer I know what I am talking about he said. I asked him these questions
    1) Better Hinge so the lid close's better and more even? answer yes!
    2) LED screen and high Res.screen ? answer yes
    3) Better processor ? answer much better
    4) New design answer( I wont answer that one ).

At the end of our conversation I was happy to wait. Later the store manager came over to me as he is a friend of mine. He told me that I made the right choice. You be the Judge!! .I trust this individual as he helped me several months ago with an IMac that went bad in its 13th month of ownership, He helped me get it replaced with a newer model at no charge. He has the Horse Power. Good Luck !!!!

Sorry what I meant was an LED screen not LCD.. I stand corrected .. you still need to wait for the LED screen..

14. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I don't even know where to begin. Do they have Apple stores on planet broken english? Even if he has the "Horse Power", whatever that means, you stated that LCD screen and high res - what are you expecting, a CRT? Every laptop ever made has a LCD in some form. The high-res has been available since last year. My hinge closes fine.
    The new processors were just added (2.6, which is what this is about)

What are you talking about? I see a whole lot of nonsense.

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

I have heard this exact story in a many different tech venues, where the regional manager/store manager/cousin of the CEO's brother-in-law/etcetera interceded. This exact story is kind of a running joke on almost all of the digital photography forums, where Canon or Nikon's Next Big Release is awaited even more eagerly than Apple's is here (I know...it sounds impossible but it's true).

No offense meant...but I've yet to see a similar story result in anything but confirmation that regional managers and below don't know Jack about new product releases, no matter what the product.

16. southside2006 macrumors newbie

You are wrong about All units having LCD

You know nothing about MBP if you think they all come with LCD screens ( fool) just so you know the 17 inch MBP has a mercury back light that use's more power and runs hotter. the 15 inch MBP and and MB are the only units to have the LCD screen and they just came out with them this year " fool " Don't believe me call Apple yourself.. And Apple has had several problems with the 17 inch hinge right out of the box, again don't believe me call Apple.

to the individual wanting to know if they should wait or buy now I still say wait. Go to google and enter Macbook Pro hinge problems and see what you get. Other people are very good at running of the mouth, I stand on what I say.. Good Luck.

17. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'll say what I said in my PM. You have confused your terms and you sound awful stupid. LCD is in every laptop, LED is a newer technology that backlights the LCD.

The LED backlight DOES NOT make the computer run cooler.

Mercury? Are you serious? No, its not mercury backlight. Mercury is poisonous and not used in any recent commercial products. The 17'' and the Macbook 13'' use a CCFL backlight, not LED.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about and its embarrassing for everyone.

18. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I can't believe the number of times a NEWBIE MacRumors member (you've got 5 posts as I'm writing this and you only joined a week ago) feels compelled to talk about the amazing inside information that he/she has just been given while at an Apple store.

I don't know whether this "Regional Manager" who just so happend to be in your local Apple store was pulling your leg or whether you're puling ours. But I'll believe it when I see it. :D

Also, on a different matter, how sure are people that there will be a 17" MBP update in January? I thought that the main rumours were that there's gonna be some kind of ultra portable Macbook/Macbook Pro - when did people start saying the exisiting models were gonna be updated as well?

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I cracked up right about here....

20. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm not sure when the faster chips will come, but it's a waste of time to wait for another revision.

Apple updates these things every 6-7 months, and they just added an additional processor option.

I'd get the MacBook Pro right now, fill it up with 4 gigs of ram (from OWC) and you're good to go (not sure if you can open it up or not, i'm sure its possible). Apple is a rip-off with ram.

21. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Now

I just went for a new 17" 2.33, so in a sense I'm way behind. Do I care? No. Do I notice some kind of performance hit? No. Do I love this machine? Absolutely. Don't get stuck in the "waiting for the update" loop. It's endless.

22. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Just purchased this exact machine

5 days ago I picked up a Macbook Pro 17", 2.6ghz, 200gig 7200rpm, 4gig (3rd Party ram for $100), with High Res non-glossy screen.

I needed it and boy am I glad I did not wait.

This unit screams!!!

I could care less if the "flavor of the month" is a bit faster, has a bit longer battery life, etc.

I bought Gen 1 technology in my iPhone and in a Quad G5 and Quad Mac Pro.

For my laptop, I want to take NO CHANCES.

I would rather a proven design, than the "rushed to market" (potentially, knowing Apple) flavor.

Buy if you need it now.

Solid, Fast, Well-Built Box.

23. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

hehe....you said "box".

24. motomac macrumors member

Hmac, you could not be more right about this!

I'm a newbie here on MR, and I read alot more than i post here on MR. So i have been shocked at the vast number of whiny cry babies that are here. "Oh i pulled my magsafe out by the wire now its broke waaa! waaa!" and "don't buy a black macbook because MY trackpad is shiny and the keys get greasy 'snif' 'snif'" and even "my battery shows 99% after 4,000 cycles booo! hooo!

Plus there are still way too many "IF"s related to what exactly Apple is going to come out with at MWSF. I didn't see anything on MR that said a revision to the 17"MBP was coming? Aside from the probable .2-.6 Ghz speed increase and a revision to the case design, any update that Apple gives to the MBP line will inevitably cause hords of current SR MBP owners to sell their "instantly not state-of-the-art" MBPs on ebay/craigslist while they stand in line to buy the Penryn MBP.

At this point I will be surfing Craigslist with a smile as I will be able to pick out a brand new / nearly new SR MBP with everything I want for a few hundred $ less and I will have a machine that is truly not out of date, that does what I need it to do, and is/was the last SR revision because nearly all of the bugs have been ironed out by now. So I won't have to worry about the problems that the new Rev. A Penryn will have!

To the OP. Don't wait. or if you want, wait till mid jan. when a flood of perfectly good SR MBPs hit the market from owners who will never be happy with what they have!

Anyone wanna take a bet at how quickly new Penryn MBP owners will complain about the bugs their new machines will have?!?! I personally want to seee a post or two with the title saying "Wish i kept my trusty SR MBP!" Ha!

25. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

Did this whole scene take place on an elevator?:D