macbook pro 2.8/2.53 battery life differences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freakonaleash92, Oct 18, 2008.

1. freakonaleash92 macrumors newbie

would the faster processor in the 2.8 eat up more battery life, because thats how i seem to get an impression of. the 2.8 would be faster yes but wouldnt it be hotter and eat up more battery than the 2.53 which is already fast as hell?

ty

2. xef6 macrumors newbie

I too would be interested in learning about the battery life difference between the 2.53 and 2.8Ghz models.

3. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I imagine this to be really hard to quantify, as the 2.8 GHz will get a little more tasks done in a given amount of time. So the proper comparison would be whether one empties the battery faster than the other given a concrete amount of work.

4. bitesize macrumors member

that's only true when only doing CPU intensive work (i.e. video rendering). in ordinary tasks, such as word processing and videos, i'm sure the 2.8 will drain battery faster than the 2.53. since a faster processor doesn't get "more work" done in those cases. but if apple built in some sort of technology similar to intel speedstep, then battery life should be comparable.

5. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Basically running any chip at a faster clock speed will require more power with the exception of some innovations in core designs where a new core may have better power management built in at the same clock, but with the same generation cores, the faster speeds will require more power resulting in less battery life. How much less would be very dependant on the load and usage patterns.

6. xef6 macrumors newbie

It seems like everyone is trying to evade the point of the question.

Under average "wireless productivity" situations and the like, what sort of difference in battery life would one see between the 2.53 and 2.8Ghz models?

I don't quite understand how it's difficult to quantify when one asks specifically for a time.

Even if the the wireless productivity setup dissatisfies you, what about when the two computers just sit there idle for the whole time, or churning the whole time? Any quantification of the difference is a quantification, otherwise one is just left with the already-obvious knowledge that it will be "less".

7. WesWelkerFan macrumors newbie

I've been working on my computer today with pictures on my 2.8. It looks like I'll be getting 2.5 hours of work time on my battery with some breaks from work. I've been working with MS word and Powerpoint applications.

Hope it helps.

8. jdsmith1012 macrumors newbie

I can't offer a full comparison but I can give half of the puzzle.

I have a 17" 2.8 GHz MBP I just got a few days ago; so keep in mind the battery is brand new with just a couple of charge cycles.

I work from home on this computer as a system administrator. As such, I utilize LaunchBar, Mail, Safari, Adium, TweetDeck, VoiceMac, iCal, iTunes, and Terminal constantly on WiFi.

I calibrated my battery yesterday and with brightness auto-adjusting and the backlight on 50%, the laptop lasted approximately 8 hours.

On a separate occasion the day I got it, the battery lasted about 2-2 1/2 hours with 100% brightness and 100% backlight while playing WoW and listening to iTunes.

All in all, I am very pleased with the battery life. I would definitely go with the 2.8 GHz if you can afford it; after all, the processor is one of the things you can't upgrade as easily (if at all).