MacBook Pro #2, issues again..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techhie, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

So, on my 2nd macbook pro from best buy. This time around, I keep getting un-logged kernel panics, and random total system freezes. Lucky me, right? It usually happens every few hours or so randomly, and requires a hard restart. I got the laptop about 80 days ago or so from best buy as an exchange 11 days after the original purchase. I just installed XP pro on boot camp, and for some reason the freezes are much more frequent there, ranging from 15-2 minutes between. I actually went to best buy with this seeking an exchange (I don't like going 3-4 weeks without my laptop) on Monday of this week, but they only told me that I would have to send it in. I formatted before I went, and upon returning home with the laptop I did a time machine restore, and had no problems for about 36 hours. All I want is a working laptop, so my question to you is do you think that the Apple store will be any more help if I tell them what is going on? I don't think it likely that they do a no-questions exchange, but I don't want to be laptop-less for a month. Any insight guys? I really need help.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Kernel panics are difficult to determine if they are software or hardware related; at least that's what Apple Techs have relayed to me. Even if they run their diagnostics tests right in front of you, and then keep the MBAir/MBP overnight, it's been extremely difficult to give a definitive answer. I'm on my 2nd kernel panic freezing issue documented with AppleCare Techs with two separate case numbers...:(

4. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

Yes, but based on what I've learned from a bunch of UNIX crusades, if it was software related it would more likely log the panics, and I could decipher the logs. This is why I'm not sure wether Apple will attempt to replace the logic board, or simply give me a new one. I don't know if they will get a panic while testing it, that's what is frustrating about it.