MacBook Pro + 20" Cinema Display.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macgeek2005, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

    Jan 31, 2006
    I'm thinking of getting a new 17" MacBook Pro with a 20" Cinema Display.

    At home I would only use the 20" display, and use a seperate Keyboard and Mouse, and just have the MacBook Pro off to the side, with the lid closed. Does anybody do this? Does it work well? And also, how do you get the lid to close without putting it to sleep?

  2. someguy macrumors 68020


    Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    If you don't mind me asking, how can you afford these items at 15?

    I realize it's not really any of my business, but I'm just curious. I really must be in the wrong business! When I was 15, I could barely afford to get my hair cut! :eek:

    P.S. Come to think of it, things aren't much different nowadays either..
  3. TurboLag macrumors member

    Feb 24, 2004
    A 17" laptop has very limited portability, and adding another $800 for 3" does not make much sense. May I suggest a 15" laptop for more portability, and a 20" Dell 2007FPW; This setup will offer more portability, and save you a few hundred dollars.
  4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

    psycho bob

    Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    Would have to agree with everyword. I've been through two 17in PB's each time I've said next time I'll go for a 15in and external monitor. I love the 17 but practically it is a pain regardless of what some may say, the weight does tell with walking and using transport other than car or train is a pain.

    If you go for the 15 or 17 don't get an external screen at the same time because I honestly feel you'll rarely use it. An external 20 on the end of a new macbook with the same or close to resolution is pointless and if it is going to spend a lot of time at home get an imac now and if necesary an ibook (or whatever it gets called) later on.

    I've known people with there own businesses at 15 so I won't question your need to have one but do be aware of the buying because 'it is the next big thing' syndrome. If your not starting an education course for example before September then just bide your time. I myself am waiting until September before buying again by which time I hope the choice will include new Intel desktops which should offer far more bang per buck when compared to the macbooks.
  5. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jan 31, 2006
    Yeah, I think i've changed my mind about the 15" vs 17". I'll get the 15" and i'll wait for Merom, maybe even Penryn.

    The thing is... I've always loved the "Tower/Moniter" setup. A tower on the floor next to my desk, and a nice big apple moniter on the desk. I don't want to give that up. I was thinking that with a MacBook Pro/External moniter, I could make it feel like i'm using a tower again, except i'll be able to pick up my tower, fold a screen out of it's side, and carry it with me wherever I go.

    I will however be waiting now, because of what you've said. Thanks for the heads up.

Share This Page