Macbook pro 2006 model core2duo ssd replacement, can anybody help..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPersian, Nov 8, 2012.

1. iPersian macrumors regular

..me with this?

My girlfriends great 2006 model needs a hard disk replacement and we want to replace the drive with a SSD. can anyone suggest what hard drive we should buy?

im thinking about the samsung 830 SSD.

will it fit and work in a 2006 macbook pro or should we go for another drive?

or should we go for another drive?

also is it easy to do it by yourself?

2. richphoto macrumors newbie

It is super easy, I put a Hybrid drive in a 2007 a couple months ago, it took all of about 15 min.
    you dont need to spend the extra $ for satalll of the 830 because your macbook can't use the speed. you only have a link speed of 1.5 Gigabit, you need 3 Gigabit to use the satalll's speeds.
    So take a look at the more affordable satall drives unless you plan on keeping the drive to install in a macbook sometime soon, then the investment might be a good one for you.

3. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

ok but the drive says 7mm thick and i read somewhere that this mac should have a 9mm think drive. so will it work?

also what other drives do you suggest?

----------

also do you need any extra equipment? or regular screwdrivers will do?

4. richphoto macrumors newbie

you can find install videos, instructions etc. here as well as lots of good info
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/
    tool kit for $5

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The height of the drive doesn't matter if it is less than the maximum. It is mounted in place so it won't move around.

I bought my tools at Home Depot. They sell a couple of 8 in 1 kits made by Husky, one with the small Phillips tips you'll need and another with a bunch of torx tips you'll need.

6. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the tips.

im thinking of buying this one. will it fit? if it does ill just order it.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/ssd-solid-state-drive/samsung-830-series-mz-7pc256b-256-gb-id-6437572.aspx

in the future when the macbook pro 2006 model dies ill take out the disc and use it as an extra backup.

should i go ahead order it?

and besides the tools for the screws i dont need anything else right?

interestingly the site has two similar ones. doesnt specify what the differences are..if anyone knows youll welcome to tell.

heres the slightly more expensive one samsung 830, same model no but a little more expensive..strange:

http://www.edbpriser.dk/ssd-solid-state-drive/samsung-830-series-mz-7pc256n-256-gb-id-5565175.aspx

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The less expensive drive is a bare drive which will do nearly everything you need. The slightly more expensive one is the "notebook" kit that includes a few things that are nice but you don't need.

8. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK