Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevichenko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Hi mates, i'm trying to install osx snow leopard (10.6) in a macbook pro 2006 with an SSD.
But when i installed it i cannot enter the OS because asks me for an USER password, the hint is: The password is "password". but that isn't true, i cannot enter.
i tried to enter system utilities with cmd + R but i got a no-no sign, and i tried to reset password with cmd + S but after a few minutes i got a waiting for boot device or something like that.

What can i do??

edit: it shows:

still waiting for root device

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Cmd-R will not work with operating systems older than OS 10.7. You need to boot from the OS 10.6 disk by booting while holding down the C key and access Disk Utility from there.

sevichenko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Cmd-R will not work with operating systems older than OS 10.7. You need to boot from the OS 10.6 disk by booting while holding down the C key and access Disk Utility from there.

i don't have cd :( i only have a restore usb, also i think that the cd drive doesn't works.
any idea?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
So do you have OS 10.6 on a USB key? Where did you get it from? Are you sure it is a full retail install version of 10.6?

sevichenko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
So do you have OS 10.6 on a USB key? Where did you get it from? Are you sure it is a full retail install version of 10.6?
I have downloaded it from a software page, i have also the 10.6.8 update

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have downloaded it from a software page, i have also the 10.6.8 update

Yep. There's the problem.

Don't download operating systems from the Internet. I can just about guarantee that any OS that you download from a file sharing site is going to contain malware of some sort.

Reactions: old-wiz

sevichenko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
thanks for the advice. I will hear any tip that you can give me of where i can download it.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.