Macbook pro 2007 CLAM SHELL MODE?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by formoutofchaos, Sep 18, 2011.

1. formoutofchaos macrumors newbie

I am interesting in getting an external display with my 2007 2.4 ghz core 2 duo , does this year operate in clamshell mode? Can i buy a non apple display? the Samsungs are more cost effective..... i tired searching the forums but couldn't find my answer. thank you very much for your input!

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I'm quite sure that no Macbook Pro operates in clamshell mode without the use of an external product or a third party app like InsomniaX. You can buy any display you want but you might want to pick up a VGA Display adapter so it's compatible.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can use it in clamshell mode with any display.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

4. formoutofchaos thread starter macrumors newbie

So i need insomniax? I cant just use a usb to usb afaptor? I need a dvi? Is the computer full functional? When closed ?

5. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

Yes, it is fully functional in clamshell mode.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you don't need Insomniax. Whether you use VGA or DVI or another connection depends on what inputs your monitor has. Yes, the computer works in clamshell mode just like it does normally.

7. formoutofchaos thread starter macrumors newbie

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=567027

This is what i was worried about,

what monitor will allow me to retain the resolution of my mac?

would a newer macbook pro function better with an external display?

seems the 1440 by 900 cant be retained by a larger screen? what is the best option????

8. alFR macrumors 68020

Your mac will support any external display of up to 1900 x 1200.

Not overall - it might give you more options re: connection type though, e.g. HDMI or Mini Displayport, or if you're a gamer you might get better frame rates at higher resolutions from a newer mac.

To get the best picture you should set the external monitor to its native resolution (e.g. if the display is 1900 x 1200, run it at 1900 x 1200).

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Don't spread bullcrap. Yes OP, you can run in clamshell mode, all you need is an external keyboard can mouse.

10. formoutofchaos thread starter macrumors newbie

OK honestly lets be real if my native mode is 1440 by 900, and i get a larger screen like a 27 inch samsung , the screen will prob look blocky, and not that sharp because of the increase in size, i did this hoooked up to my 720 p 40 inch tv and it looked blocks and crappy. I dont know if a 27 inch will do the same, i dont want to have any loss in sharpness or display.

did that make sense?

It seems that the only option to have a large screen off of a laptop would be
    1) thunderbolt no loss in display *but to expensive
    2) using HDMI with a newer will retain sharpness
    3) a mac mini w a samsung display
    4( use macbook pro 2007 and just suck it up with bigger icons and less sharpness with a larger display. using DVI

11. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If you run your MBP in clamshell mode your MBP will be able to output a maximum of 2560x1600 (source). So if you bought a 1080p monitor, your MBP would be able to output to the monitor's max resolution of 1920x1080 and everything would look silky smooth. The reason it probably looked incredibly crappy on your 40" tv is due to the TV only supporting 720p which is less than the native resolution of your MBP, but nearly three times the screen size.

To summarize:
    You don't need to buy a new computer.
    You do need to buy a display and the right adapter cable (any one that fits will do. Check monoprice.com for the cheapest adapters/cables).
    Make sure you have an external mouse/keyboard.
    It's going to look great.