Macbook pro 2007. Fullspeed fans.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FuLL, Mar 8, 2013.

1. FuLL macrumors newbie

Yep. I bought this project macbook pro 2007 and i thouht i could get it working with only GPU reflow.

Applestore said that logic board completley dead. I got it running with 10sec pwrbtn, 10sec pwrbtn + magsafe, push pwrbtn and it was alive.

So i tryed to install osx but it stopped after awhile. I started GPU reflow and after that osx install went fine... Everything else works but fans are at fullspeed, battery not recognized.

Istat pro does not recognize any fans..

Someone know what chips control fans and battery? I will reflow all other three chips but it would help much if some1 knows..

http://www.systemboardcn.com/media/...df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/1/a1226.jpg

2. Doward macrumors 6502a

The fans are controlled by the SMC, I believe. I'd do a hot flow oven on the entire board just to make sure everything was good again :)

3. FuLL thread starter macrumors newbie

That does not help much. Can you tell me what is SMC? It's somekind of "bios" i believe but what chip is it on he motherboard? I've now reflowed everything else but processor of those four chips.. Bu same problem.

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

It's on the other side of the board, the larger chip on the right side of the RAM bay. SMC is some kind of power manager that deals with the battery and also the fans I believe.

5. FuLL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i checked the chip and it's some kind of bios/cmos chip that controls.. Reflowed that but didn't help.. Also processor now reflowed.

Anything else?

6. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Check temperature connector, the first time i reflowed a 15" MBP i forgot to connect the Temp sensor, take off the keyboard, look at the top center of the motherboard.

7. FuLL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes there's three sensors.. none of them shows in istat pro or in smc fan control..

Weird thing is that now it can run with battery but osx show X on battery logo and sas that no batteries are usable.. still i can get magsafe of and it runs..

8. hackerwayne, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Are you very sure you connected the sensors? and also the battery connector (White or black in color depending on model)?

EDIT: I took out one of my scrap/spare part MacBook Pro to take a pic to show you.

[​IMG]
    This is responsible for thermal management. fan goes full blown if this is not connected

[​IMG]
    This is the battery terminal connector. Battery not detected if this is not plugged in.

9. FuLL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. That sensor at the center of the board measures temperature from copper ad there's two more below both fans.. if one of them is off both fans will run at 4000rpm...

battery connector also ok.. It's something else that i can't understand yet :D

I'll have to try to reflow all the other bga chips also..

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I am pretty sure you did already but did you reset SMC?

11. FuLL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes after you mentioned it first time and everytime after reflows :)

12. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I have a first gen macbook pro that also has a problem with the fans, although different from yours. Mine will stay at 2000 rpm (or whatever the base speed is) no matter the load. Only after I installed this http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control it started to behave as it should. Maybe you could check it out to at least get the fans under control.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

There's your problem right there. It's a built in failsafe in a MBP. When a temp sensor quits working, the fans come on full blast just in case the computer is overheating and doesn't "know" it.

I wouldn't know how to fix this, either the temp sensor is dead, or not properly connected, and the only way to get the fans back to normal will be to fix the sensors.

14. FuLL thread starter macrumors newbie

LoL...

So i got another MBP.. this time 2008 model.

same thing. full fanspeed and battery was not recognized.

took battery off, magsafe off -> 10sec pwrbtn -> magsafe on while pushing pwrbtn -> release pwrbtn and push to start.. everytime worked but full fanspeed.

battery on, magsafe on -> no power.

relized that my only magsafe is 65W :D

let battery charge for 30minutes -> start... silent fans and battery recognized.

got to try that 2007 machine too :D