macbook pro 2007 screen issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 50L, Jun 21, 2014.

1. 50L macrumors regular

50L

[​IMG]

After 50 restarts I got a good working computer for a few minutes.

Is this a problem with the video card and how to solve it?

:(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

GPU is dying - nothing can be done except replace the logic board, which is not an inexpensive proposition :(

3. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

what I tried :

PR reset : nothing changed

safe mode : green lines have disapeared for 2 minutes when loading but now are back. after starting I was able to use this computer only has a small red line in the screen.

Now my question, how style is my laptop?:(

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

on the bright side, your data is fine. You can use target disk mode or take out the hard drive and get your data.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

This will only get worse. It was a common problem for which Apple extended the warranty but that program is over now.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your GPU is likely dying. Your data's safe, but it's not likely to get any better.

Your computer is 7 years old, that's quite a bit. Most laptops don't last that long.

IMO, it's not worth repairing due to its age, but that's me.

7. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I along with every single other person who was unfortunate enough to own a 2007 MacBook Pro seems to have been affected by this problem.

Essentially yes, the motherboard is dead.

My recommendation would be to replace the MacBook but if you don't mind taking a screwdriver and a lot of patience to it you can often find replacement motherboards for it on eBay for a fairly reasonable amount. Just do keep in mind it's a known issue with this model and it'll almost certainly reappear given enough time.

If you're wondering what option I went with - essentially both. Got a new motherboard for the machine and gave it to my mother, then bought myself a new MacBook Pro.

8. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

Isnt there some trick around?

Like putting the logic board in a heat oven?

i already used 2 macbooks after this one but now I"m active here on macrumors I want to try and fix this old one

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Some folks have baked their logic boards to revive them but it seems to be a temporary solution.

Personally, if be shopping for a replacement.

10. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem with the same machine a few years ago. It was a known problem, Apple replaced my logic board, and everything went back to normal.

Unfortunately, the extended replacement period is over now, so you're looking at an expensive logic board replacement, or a new machine. Even the lowest end MBA will be much faster than this machine, and potentially cheaper than the logic board replacement, so I would recommend the latter.

There's the "baking the logic board" solution, which may work, but I know that this machine, without an SSD is slow as hell, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. It's what I'm using right now between selling my iMac and buying a new rMBP and it can't really even handle Netflix.

11. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

Baking method actually worked! me happy :D

12. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Good to hear. It's definitely a good machine, and it's worked well for me for 6 years, but it just got a bit too slow for me.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Baking the board will only work for a few times. Each time it will work less longer than before. Soon it won't fix it at all. You'll get about one more year out of it with additional bakings before it is completely dead.