MacBook Pro 2007 Wont power on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBush, Nov 18, 2011.

1. iBush macrumors newbie

Hi i just purchased a 2007 MacBook pro that wont power on, obviously im getting a new power lead to try first but what could it be if not that?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It could be a bad logic board. A lot of those boards have bad graphics chips.

I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on it.

3. iBush thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the reply, no was only a cheapy, if it doesnt work ill sell it for parts fingers crossed its just the charger

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

There is a problem with Nvidia GPUs in 2007/2008 models: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

You should try to contact apple. The website says something about 4 years, so you might be out of luck with a free repair, but it might be worth trying.

5. iBush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats interesting, worth bearing in mind but this one has no power, no charger light or anything so fingers crossed

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's certainly a good idea to try the charger first.

When my GPU finally died, it took the whole laptop down. But it would still flash the front LED for a second when I tried to start it.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If it's the graphics card could feasibly end up with a new logic board free tho. Worth a shot.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

If the light isn't coming on, it's less likely to be the logic board. It's more likely to be the cord or the left I/O board.

9. iBush thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its charging and when i turn it on the sleep light is dim but the machine wont power up, spoke to apple and they say they dont think its the graphics card and its more of a power on issue, need to take it to apple store but nearest one is 70 miles so dont know what to do now

10. iBush thread starter macrumors newbie

Even tried swapping RAM to no avail, im pretty certain its an unserviceable logic board, bummer :confused:

11. iBush thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anybody ever had these symptoms and succesfully got the mbp going or is it likely terminal?