macbook pro 2008 8600m gt gpu issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firelighter487, Jan 4, 2016.

1. firelighter487 macrumors member

firelighter487

hello everyone,

i have a macbook pro 2008 with the well known 8600m gt gpu faillure. i got it from someone for free because it was broken, and i don't have money to invest in it. i was wondering if anyone knows of a way of fixing it, without spending money. i want to fix it, because it is a nice speed increase over my current mac wich is a late 2006 macbook.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well, you really don't. You could have it reflowed with new solder, but that's expensive and not worth it for this machine. I have fixed a few temporarily by removing the logic board, covering everything but the GPU in foil, putting it on a level stand, and reflowing the solder with a heat gun for a couple minutes allowing it to heat up to melting temp and fix the cracks. It could fix it for a week, month, or a year but it will eventually fail again. Just put good thermal paste back on it when you're done and keep the fan speed up (SMCfancontrol works well), something like AS5 will work, and make sure the heatsink is clean with isopropyl alcohol as well before applying the thermal paste.

There are many guides available on the web describing this procedure. iFixit has a good logic board removal guide, and there's plenty of thermal paste guides. The only other part is the heat gun procedure. But again, the real fix is a new board, or a re-balled GPU.

3. firelighter487 thread starter macrumors member

firelighter487

thanks for the advice. i have not tried removing the logic board. i have tried to overheat it to reflow the solder that way, and it worked for about 4 hours, and then it broke again. i hope your solution will keep it working for longer, because i didn't replace the thermal paste or anything like that.