Macbook pro 2008 - logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AEEA, Mar 15, 2012.

1. AEEA macrumors newbie

Hi to everyone, as this is my first post, hopefully its in the right place.

I have this problem, the logicboard from my friends macbook doesn't work, he spilled water on the macbook (keyboard) turned it off and all that, laptop turned on, but keyboard and optical drive wouldn't work, well some of the keyboards.
    Anyways he tried opening the macbook and he destroyed something in the logicboard (a part where some cable is attached) i think its the cable from the fan, either way he can't turn his macbook at all now. I was thinking is it a good idea to buy a logicboard from ebay, they are around 200-250$, which is not so bad.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you were sure it was just the LB then maybe...But if the HDD RAM etc are also fried...(Likely) then the repair just isn't viable.

Take out the HDD, place it in a caddy (USB) and see if you can read the drive or if it fires up at all BEFORE spending $$$ on an LB that might not fix the issue.

Maybe if it won't work at all, sell for spares..

3. AEEA thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was just the Logic Board, actually once it even worked login in and all that, could transfer files. So i guess HDD and Ram are fine, there is no damage shown on the logicboard, nothing seemed fried etc. But yea, he did broke this little plug in thing where that cable goes and now it won't turn on. I don't thing i could fix that.

Here is what he broke : http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/oayXJg6IuMPTQyCH.large

Does anyone knows if this could be fixed ?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not unless you are really good with a micro tip...And even then it's risky...If you are sure HDD and RAM are okay, get a new LB, then sell the old one for repair...A pro could probably fix that, I used to be good with an iron, but wouldn't tackle that..It's too close to other critical stuff on the board.

5. AEEA thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean a professional to fix it,because my friend lost that thing.

Anyways, ok thank you, we will try to sell it.

One last question, how do i know which LB to buy ? I don't wanna make a mistake, because i haven't seen yet any on ebay like the one he has.
    And is there any other place where i could get an LB ?