Macbook Pro 2008 problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mystickaitou, May 23, 2012.

1. Mystickaitou macrumors newbie

May 23, 2012

I have a 15 inch macbook pro early 2008 model(the model before the ones released in october). At that time it was the one with highest specifications, 2gb ram, 2,5ghz dual core t9300, geforce 8600m gt 512 mb etc.

It has been working very smoothly in the past years and I could easily run vmware fusion with windows bootcamp partiotion running in the background. But lately it has been very slow and running vmware fusion was near useless. So I formatted the laptop for the first time , installed vmware fusion and ran it again, but there is no difference. It is still so slow.

So my question is, what causes the slowness for a software that was working perfectly fine before? Is it because my laptop is 4 years old and some components might have been damaged(ie.heat)? Or has vmware fusion system requirements changed? or is it because I am running lion?

And if its a hardware issue, what would be worth upgrading?

Personally I was quite disappointed with the formatting, because I thought it would make the laptop much faster (like when you format a windows pc), but it remained the same.
  2. angrydog, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

angrydog macrumors member

Dec 12, 2009
    How old is the hard drive? It "might" be hints of a failing HDD or might be one of your ram sticks failing; You said you already tried a reformat, but have you been experiencing slowness with any other applications or uses? I also recommend backing up your data if you haven't.

What I would do?

1. Run a SMART test for the HDD

2. Run memtest to check our RAM
  3. Mystickaitou thread starter macrumors newbie

May 23, 2012
    I ran a SMART test using the app from the link. It says DRIVE IS FAILING. (i attached a screenshot of the info)

I tried running the bootable memtest from a cd, but I am not sure which version to use, there's no mac version on the site?

The slowness problem I have also experienced with apps like itunes and firefox when many tabs are open. So it is general

But now when my HDD seems to be failing what options do I have? Should I upgrade it? can it be repaired by software? will the problem be more serious in the future ? like data loss and complete failure?

Since my HDD is failing, I am wondering if something similar can happen to the processor, and if it is testable?

Attached Files:

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2009
    You don't need a Mac version. Your MBP has an Intel processor, so you can use the Win/DOS version.

But actually there's no point in testing the RAM now that you know the drive is failing.
  5. angrydog macrumors member

Dec 12, 2009
    First things first, BACKUP YOUR FILES if you have not done so yet. Secondly, you have a couple of options for HDD's. Are you currently on a tight budget? A SSD can give you a BIG boost and people on these forums usually go with an Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4 due to reliability. If SSD's are out of your price range, there is an hybrid drive; Seagate Momentus Xt. It contains 4gb/8gb SSD in-which the drive allocates files you constantly use onto to the SSD portion in which your everyday applications or system start-ups will be significantly faster and it comes in 500GB/750GB capacities. My last point, if all of these are out of your price range; has a wide array of HDD selections but I recommend you stay with Seagate or Western Digital (Personal Opinion).

Again, you can find different capacities and even at lower prices if you look around other stores; you don't have to use newegg as other sites may have better deals but I just used them as reference. Also regarding your processor comment, there is a very low chance of you processor failing but it does happen! Yet very very small percentages it will. Hope I helped!

1. (Crucial M4)
    2. (Samsung 830) 
    3. (Seagate Momentus XT 500GB)
    4. (WD Scorpio Black)
  6. Mystickaitou thread starter macrumors newbie

May 23, 2012
    What can be done about it? can it be repaired by software? replacement? or ?
  7. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2009
  8. angrydog macrumors member

Dec 12, 2009
    Repair via software cannot be done (unless it is a corrupt file but your SMART test told you otherwise), you must replace the HDD.

EDIT: Here are instructions on how to replace the HDD for your early 2008 Macbook Pro.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    You replace it.
  10. Mystickaitou thread starter macrumors newbie

May 23, 2012
    I am gonna take backup as soon as possible.

Since it was quite an expensive laptop at that time I will probably replace the HDD. Thanks for the links! I looked at them and I will probably go with the seagate momentus, since I plan to replace it in 1-2 years or whatever.

Thanks for that instruction link. Really great responses :)
  11. Mystickaitou thread starter macrumors newbie

May 23, 2012
    I want to order the seagate momentus xt 500gb. Just want to make sure before ordering, is this fully compatible with the 15¨macbook pro 2008 model? (the model before the ones in october, old design)

I have read a lot of negative stories about this HDD and the MBP through a google search. While it is not representative, this HDD is a popular one right?
  12. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2012
    New York
    Many people on here have used the Momentus drive with great success. Overall it seems to be a really solid drive and will serve you for quite some time. You should have no problems with this drive at all.