MacBook Pro 2009 13 inch freezing problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildcat1451, Jul 29, 2012.

1. wildcat1451 macrumors newbie

So, been having this problem for a while now. Occasionally (once or twice a day), Lion will just freeze up on me and i have to force it to shut down as nothing will respond. After I do this, it will not boot and will sit there with apple logo and spinning wheel for an hour or so. If i do a PRAM reset it will boot up normally, however does not fix the problem. This has been happening since i updated my graphics driver with the latest Nvidia drivers, which is the only other thing I have done besides replacing my Hard Drive, and the problem has persisted even with a new Hard Drive. Since then, I have installed a new hard drive, and done several clean installs, including upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Recently, a new problem has emerged as well, my apps in the background such as mail and itunes will crash and i will be unable to re-open them. It says i have run out of space or something similar. Even though I have 128gb Vertex 4 SSD. With abtou 115gb free space. Rebooting temporarily fixes the problem. Similarly, a clean install has not fixed this problem!! Am getting very frustrated and need some urgent help. If anyone can that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You and I have the same generation 13" laptop. I know mine came with restore discs(the newer ones don't). Find the "Application Install DVD" and put it in the optical drive and reboot. Before the chime, press and hold "D". You will boot from the Apple Hardware test on that DVD. Go ahead and run the extended test. It should help you narrow down the problem if it's hardware related.

3. wildcat1451 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh I did that :/ said evrything was fine. What else can i do??

4. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

Okay, try press the "ALT" key down when booting just after the white screen is on, after that select the recovery partition, it should be there after you install Lion, when its booted select the Disk Utility, and then select you partition "First Aid" and then choose the "Check Disk permissions" And when its done choose "Repair Disk permissions" then it should be fine :) Helped alot on my brothers MacBook after ML install :)

5. wildcat1451 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, tried that, and verified disk too. Thanks though