MacBook Pro 2009 for $700 is it a rip off?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alijayadv, Dec 5, 2011.

1. alijayadv macrumors newbie

I found this website that had a MacBook pro for a good price. I have a netbook that keep getting bugs and when I found this and wanted to ask for it for Christmas. But before I ask, I want to make sure it's not a rip off.
    Product Features:
    Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
    2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor
    160 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive, 2 GB DDR3 RAM
    13.3 inch LED Display, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics
    Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard Operating System
    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
    Hardware Platform: Mac
    Processor: 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    System Bus Speed: 1066
    Number of Processors: 2
    RAM: 2 GB
    RAM Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Operating System and Software
    Operating System: Mac
    Hard Drive
    Size: 160 GB
    Manufacturer: Portable
    Type: Serial ATA
    Graphics and Display
    LCD Native Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Ports and Connectivity
    Modem: None
    Cases and Expandability
    Weight: 4.41 pounds
    Power
    Rated Charge (normal use): 7 hours

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Might well do better in the MacBook Pro forums rather than the Mac Pro?

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I hope you are at a reputable site. That price seems low for "retail" used.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I do not think its worth it. You can find better deals locally on craigslist or on ebay.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

A refurbished early 2011 13'' MBP is $929. That includes a 1 year apple warranty, 14 days return and an essentially new machine, with up to date technology.

In comparison, I think $700 is too much for a used more than 2 years old machine without any warranty. I would also be a bit concerned about the battery... they usually don't last longer than 3-4 years before loosing a significant amount of charge.

6. facc macrumors newbie

Well before i comment on the specific laptop, i wanna mention that people who buys computers after what brand it is, ALWAYS gets ripped of, wether it is an apple pc or an dell/alienware, it is all the same, you end up having wasted alot of money. Anyway when looking at the specifications it makes me wanna laugh that you would even ask if it is good, NO it is NOT good, it is VERY bad.

It has got an old outdated processor, slow ddr2 ram which you cannot find in computers anymore xD, with only 2 gb ram, only 160 gb hard drive, and a resolution that is lower than standards in normal computers(newer macs got same bad resolution xD).

The 2nd thing is that NO it will not go for 7 hours on battery, it might have as new, but not now. By this i mean that if it is not a new one i wont AT ALL keep laptop on for 7 hours, and hardware is old and demands more power than new, so uses alot of power.

7. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Its not necessarily a 'Rip Off' but it may be overpriced, you can get a mid 2010 model for around 6-700 which will have a more updated graphics system, that model was plagued with video and logic board issues, so I'd stay away from it for those reasons and look for a newer 2010 model.