MacBook Pro 2009 freezes on YouTube

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danwayfilms, Mar 28, 2012.

1. danwayfilms macrumors member

I feel like i've been having lots of issues with YouTube lately, but this one has made watching videos a HUGE pain the ya know.

I'll load the YouTube page, and I sometimes will immediately get the spinning beach ball while the video attempts to play. The video may stutter playback, not playback at all, or I can hear the sound start but no video. This all continues, sometimes for several minutes, until the video buffer bar has reached 100%.

I have no idea why this is happening. I'm on Lion and up to date with software update. I have the 2.53 ghz c2d with the integrated only 8400m graphics card, 500 gb hdd, and 8gb of ram. Now I know my machine is not good enough to efficient do high end graphics (waiting for the next MBP), but playing YouTube videos? This happens even when the video is standard 480p or lower. It's ridiculous and not sure why this is happening. Anyone have this problem?

Thanks

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

At the moment I can't think of a likely cause, but given the specs of your computer, it shouldn't have any problem with something as basic as youtube regardless of resolution. The one thing I might ask is what browser/version are you using. Even the Core2duo machines are quite capable.

3. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Sounds like an Adobe Flash problem, see if upgrading to the latest version will help you.

4. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Are you using flash to play the videos or HTML5? On my laptop (13" 2011 mbp) I was getting terrible playback on HTML5. It would start with a beach ball, then play the audio but no video, and then play normal after I paused it once it was completely loaded. No matter what I did, it wouldn't playback smoothly unless I used flash. All of that has changed since I did a fresh install of lion on a new ssd. I really have no idea what the cause was, but it's gone and plays back perfectly. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

To see if you are in HTML5, just google HTML5 youtube beta and it will take you to a page to unsubscribe.