Macbook Pro 2009 to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lihi, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Lihi macrumors newbie

I own a macbook pro 15" which i bought in october 2009, and i want to connect it to my panasonic hdtv.

I already own a miniDisplay port to DVI adapter, and a DVI to HDMI cable which i use, but i'm just getting video transferred and no audio.
    I understand i need an HDMI to HDMI connection for the audio to work.

So my first question is - can my macbook pro model even transfer audio through HDMI? and if so, what is the difference between these two:
    Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
    Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable

I understand that for the first option i also need to get and HDMI to HDMI, but why get 2 cables if i can get one in the second option? is there something i'm missing?

Thanks i advance

2. Memole, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

Memole macrumors member

you have macbook pro from 2009 which means that this model dont have audio out on mini display port so even if u buy mini display port to HDMI cable or adapter you wont get audio out as your macbook don't support it :( and apple added audio out on mini display port on macbook pro 2010 models

to get audio out you could try to get one of thiese adapters

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Bott-Aud...EB2O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287141435&sr=8-3

3. Lihi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer!
    That's too bad..

So if i already have a mini display port to dvi i can get that audio cable separately right?

4. Memole macrumors member

yes :) you can get audio cable and connect to your TV :)