MacBook Pro 2010 15" Fan Noise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tann, May 5, 2013.

1. tann macrumors 68000

Hello! I have searched google and the forums for topics but none seem to be of this particular potential issue.

Basically my MacBook Pro 2010 when idling (fans are at ~2k according to smcFanControl) but one of the fans is making a weird noise. It's not a consistent whirr, it's almost as if it might be slightly scraping on something. In particular the left fan (as you look at the keyboard) is making the noise, the left fan at ~2k is silent/very slight consisten whirr.

I know for a fact that it's only started in the last few months because in quiet rooms it's really noticeable even if you aren't listening out for it.

I have just under 2 months left on my AppleCare so is this an issue do you think that I should try to get looked at? Bare in mind my nearest Apple Store is a city over and I don't drive. So it would be like a day trip for me!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

open the macbook and check for dirt, your fan may be dying too , ebay sells fans for 20 to 30$.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

4. tann thread starter macrumors 68000

I checked around when I replaced my hard drive a few months ago, but cleaning the dust out didn't help. Didn't realise fans were that cheap.

Thanks for this, I'll give this a shot!