Macbook Pro 2010 8GB of RAM or a SSD?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 05benfra, Aug 3, 2010.

1. 05benfra macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro in the coming weeks, and was in need of some advice.
    I am purchasing the Mac for university, it will mainly be used mainly for games, the Adobe CS5 suite, and for general Office software. Video editing, photo editing and website creation would probably be the primary use though.
    First of all I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the i5 processor vs the i7. Using the above programs would I really notice much of a difference?
    Furthermore, once adding a high resolution screen (I can't decide out of matte or glossy?!), I have some money left. Should I spend this on upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, or on a SSD of the size 128GB or 256GB.
    Essentially, would I notice much difference when conducting the above tasks with the extra RAM? Or would I benefit more from the SSD (I am worried about the small size of the SSD's that I can afford).
    At the moment I seem to be settling for the 8GB of RAM, in hope that in the future, as technology develops, I could purchase my own SSD, for hopefully a cheaper price and a larger size, and input it myself.

Am I thinking along the right lines?
    Thanks in advance.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins