MacBook Pro 2010 Battery issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wheresmychevy, Nov 27, 2014.

1. wheresmychevy macrumors newbie

I'm no repairman when it comes to computers but my MacBook Pro when plugged in shows a battery percentage but as soon as I unplug it the MacBook shuts off. Please let me know what it is. Battery? or Charge port issues?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• $_57.JPG
      $_57.JPG
      File size:
      275.3 KB
      Views:
  2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Your battery is dead. Obviously charger is working as it keeps the Mac up when connected, the battery can't hold a charge, hence can't hold power up without the charger connected.

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

4. wheresmychevy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I had an old battery and it had enough charge to see it wasn't the battery. I mis worded my statement as I meant to say the laptop will not work on the charger either. Someone told me the dc in board is bad? Hard to fix?

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I take it the "other" battery didn't power the machine up either, so original battery or "other" battery won't hold power up? How do you know "other" had enough charge if it won't power it up?

If "other" battery does power it up then that points to your original battery being shot.

If the charger doesn't work then that could be the cause of the original battery not having charge, but you said it powered up but shut off when the charger was disconnected???

6. wheresmychevy thread starter macrumors newbie

I misspoke. It will not power the laptop on when using the charger. I knew the other battery had a charge because it was fully charged when I removed it. That battery is dead now so I'm stuck. I will have to buy a charger and see if that's the issue. If it's not the charger then I guess scrapping it would be best? New battery and charger and if if does nothing then it's something else.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'd be inclined to take it to an Apple store and see if it will power up on one of their chargers, if it will then leave for 20mins and see if it then stays up on battery, if it does then buy a new charger, if it doesn't it will be new battery and new charger and you will have to make that call.

8. wheresmychevy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have that luxury as the nearest Apple Store is 200 miles east of me. I was just trying to guess worst case scenario. So, I buy new battery and charger and it does not work then I assume the charger port needs replacing?

Like I said I'm no computer genius but I'm not afraid to tear into one.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ok - yes that would be my conclusion. Anyone else local with a charger??

Although as you have two batteries, if neither takes a charge with the new charger it may be worth considering the charger port at that stage as one of your batteries should take a charge at least, even if the life is short, if neither take any charge with a new charger then that points to the charger port.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Try another wall socket. This happened to me once and I discovered that the cause was the voltage stabilizer which wasn't providing enough power for both charging and keeping the computer turned on.

Also try brushing both the magsafe socket and the power jack from the macbook. I had problems with unstable charging and after I discovered that it was due to dirty connectors.