Macbook Pro 2010 Crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entropyfl, Jan 9, 2015.

1. entropyfl macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I have a 2010 Macbook pro with Nvidia Geforce 320M 256mb. I'm running the latest version of Yosemite with a crucial SSD that I installed last year.

These last 3 weeks the computer has been randomly crashing with what I would describe as pinkish horizontal lines which freezes the computer and then it starts beeping every few seconds till I hold down the power button to switch off.

It then won't boot again till about 10 mins afterwards. If I try to boot on before that it just does the single beeps every seconds again, after about 10 beeps I turn it off and leave it.

There is nothing in particular that seems to make it crash. Its crashed whilst sending an email and just general web browsing.

Any ideas? Does it sound like an intermittent graphics issue?

Thanks in advance

2. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

It actually just started booting up at all and was just giving me steady boots.

I just took the cover off and reseated the ram and it still wouldn't work. I then took out the top and tried again and it started.. is it save to assume its likely a faulty ram chip then?

Would faulty ram cause the crash and horizontal lines?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

This sounds more like "a graphics problem" to me...

4. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

MBP 2010 and Yosemite

In my opinion this is a clear Yes!

My mac is from the same year and I have just installed Yosemite four days ago. To me it looks like the new OS X has a different Ram management. My mac has become a bit slower as well, even with the maxed out Ram and SSD.
    I had a graphic glitch that came from my installation of Parallels and Win7.
    It looks to me my machine can not handle a 64 bit Wind7, however the graphic glitch disappeared with the installation of the 32bit win7 version.
    When Win7 is active, there is zero Ram left and lots of page outs.

The hardware handles it ok, but I will not install any newer OS X on this machine. I am afraid my mac will have to live the remaining years with Yosemite.

My advice: Max out your Ram (If not already done so).