Macbook Pro (2010 edition) - sent for repair query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IamMarcoPolo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. IamMarcoPolo macrumors member

Hello, i recently yeserday dicovered a faulty trackpad, where it seemed that everytime i moved my finger across the trackpad, the mouse would act erractically. Either moving slowly, very fast, not at all or doing some other completely different function, to which was off-calibrated with the movement of my fingers, computer was restarted etc, problem only occured first time yeserday - seems like wear and tear? only had the laptop for 6 months.

I took my laptop to the apple store (UK) and they played around and encountered the same problem. So they decided to send it in for repair.

However, my question is this, will they just replace the 'trackpad alone' or will they replace the 'entire upper case' and does this include the keyboard, many thanks

I have been searching for answers on the internet, but havent found anything concrete.

Thanks for your help, Steve.

2. IamMarcoPolo thread starter macrumors member

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I think they replace the entire upper case when they do the trackpad.

4. IamMarcoPolo thread starter macrumors member

Does that include the keyboard aswell, many thanks for the reply.

5. IamMarcoPolo thread starter macrumors member

bump - do they replace the keyboard as part of the upper case cheers

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

They replace only faulty parts. In this case, the trackpad only. No top case, keyboard anything unless it is faulty. I am assuming there is some accidental damage to the keyboard you'd like replaced while a warranty repair is going on? Also, please don't bump your own threads! Thanks!

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Thats not quite right. When my trackpad got replaced, they exchanged the entire upper case, including the keyboard. There was nothing wrong with the keyboard, but it's easier and faster for apple to replace an entire upper case than to take out individual parts to only fix the broken bits.

Same goes for anything in the display assembly, they'll replace the entire display assembly if any if the internal parts have failed.

8. IamMarcoPolo thread starter macrumors member

If what your saying is correct and they do replace the keyboard as well, that would be very nice. As you can see on my keyboard its generally starting to loose its outer covering now - characteristic shiny appearance, even after repreated cleanings.

If would seem logical for them to replace the 'entire upper case' - rather than fight with tiny parts to one structure.

9. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Dude, people do sleep. Why all the bumps? This is a user board, you're not always going to get an instantaneous answer. Just sayin'.