MacBook Pro 2010 Graphics Failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ToniqR, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

Hi All,

So I've got a 2010 Macbook Pro and recently I've noticed my screen has been going crazy displaying these weird fuzzy graphics (see attachment).

The problem seems to go away when I use gfxCardStatus and switch it to the Discrete graphics only. Does that suggest my integrated intel HD graphics is failing? If so, is it still okay to keep using but just running off the nvidia system?

I'm just getting a little worried my laptop is going to screw up, and I'm only 2 months away from completing my Masters degree so really don't want to be dealing with this right now! Sods law eh!? :)

Any advice would be appreciated since I am unable to get to an Apple Store :)

Attached Files:

2. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

i'm getting similar issues, and I'm pretty worried as well. i saw an article a while ago on Macworld about the 2010 GPUs messing up and qualifying for a free (i don't remember). definitely would take it to the Apple Store. i might take mine in for a check up, since i fear this as well. I spoke to an AppleCare technician a couple weekends ago and reminded me about the diagnostics test. to do it, boot up and press the D key. i haven't done it yet so, i can't really guide you on that. give it a shot!

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

apple store just replace my motherboard free of charge ,i was one week before the 3 years date of purchase.
    Is a known issue.
    check it out here
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4088

4. ToniqR thread starter macrumors member

ToniqR

Thanks for all the info and the link.

I'm about 10 months out of the 3 year window then so unlikely I'll get much done for free, worth a try though I guess.

5. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

Worth the try, or pay 600$ that is the cost of the logicboard and labour.
    Or maybe they can give you a discount because the known issue.

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I just bought the latest and greatest 2013 MBPro 15 and post like this make me wonder about mine having the same problem in a few years. Hope Apple has fixed this!

7. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

One word, AppleCare

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

One additional word or words: It arrived today and will ativate this weekend!

It is not cheap but then new parts are not either!

Thanks Sir!:apple:

9. lukepeterson macrumors newbie

I had also encountered this kind of fuzzy graphic display way back in 2012. I was making my thesis at that time and then suddenly my monitor just turned out that way. What I did was, I had it checked at Mac Parts Online; I'll tell you they have the comprehensive Apple repair solutions to your laptop problems. Maybe you'll wonder why I didn't ask for help in AppleCare technician. Man, I can't wait for one week or two; we're only given 3 days to submit our research. So I have no choice, but to run at the nearest MacBook Pro repair services in my place.