macbook pro (2010) intermittent charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

My trusty old macbook pro 15" (2010) has been running strong for 3.5 years. However, it takes multiple tries to plug in the charger before it finally starts charging. It seems to have gotten worse over time, and now it takes 5 or so tries before it starts to charge. Is this common behavior, or is something wrong?

2. jmdMac macrumors regular

I have the same issue with mine. So far it really hasn't been much of a problem since it only takes a few attempts for it to work. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where it won't charge at all.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you may have a problem with your MagSafe adapter or the battery port in your Mac or the connector to the logic board. Check the connections to make sure they're clean and tight. Try another MagSafe adapter, to see if it helps. Check out the link for Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Also, for battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

Resetting the SMC made no difference. I've tried 3 different chargers with no difference. The connectors are clean.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then it sounds like the problem exists with your charging port or the connector to your logic board, or the logic board itself. I'd take it to Apple and let them run tests to diagnose the problem.

6. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

When I've had this problem it has been due to corrosion on either the adapter leads or the leads on the charging port of the computer. What I would always do was take a q-tip with just a little bit of alcohol on it and then clean both the leads on the charger and on the charging port of the computer. Of course, make sure your computer is off when you do this (and the charger unplugged).