Macbook Pro 2010 + Lion = sleep when closing lid no worky

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saltyzoo, Aug 28, 2011.

1. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

So, I finally upgraded to Lion on my MBP yesterday. At first, I was pretty pleased.

Then I closed the lid and walked away....

When I came back, I noticed it hadn't gone to sleep. The light on front was on. When I opened the lid, the screen was lit, but quickly went black, as well as the light on the front.

When I close the lid, the light on the front goes on, and I can feel the hard drive spinning up. Open the lid, and lights out, HD stops....

It's like the sleep toggle is backward.

A reboot resolves the problem until the lid is closed again.

Reset PRAM, SMC, no difference in behavior.

Bah!

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I noticed the same thing but my 2010 macbook pro just froze with the white screen and I had to hold the power button down. It's done it 3 or 4 times in the las 2 days since I upgraded to lion.
    I also reset the same at the time.
    I haven't run into the problem yesterday or today though. I read somewhere that it takes time for the computer to learn the new IOS?

3. 1eyedwilli3 macrumors newbie

Shut the machine down, boot from the recovery HD
    Go to disk utility.
    rebuild your permissions

and restart

problem solved.

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Nothing is wrong. In Lion, mbp won't go into auto sleep upon closing the lid. It defaults to clamshell mode.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Mine goes to sleep.
    I havent really set anything since I upgraded from SL.
    Check system pref again for energy saver.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for the laughs, guys. Really. Reminds me why I don't come on here much anymore.

OP, your MBP should absolutely go to sleep upon closing the lid. Did you upgrade or clean install? Make a new user account and log out of all the other ones. Log in to the new user and put the screen down. Does it sleep?

Do you have the stock HD in there?

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Clamshell mode only happens when the the video output is being used and the power source is connected.

8. orpheus1120, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Sorry I misinterpreted the OP. My advise to the OP was under the assumption that the MBP is operating with a second external display with megsafe charger on . Lion changes the way sleep works under this mode.

To resolve sleep problem without an external display, check this link (third post)

9. saltyzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

There is no external display involved. I did resolve my immediate problem (with help from that link) by disabling network sharing, however, this is a pretty big bug. Internet sharing shouldn't 1) prevent your computer from sleeping, nor 2) cause your computer to go to sleep when the lid is re-opened.

But thanks for the hint. I can live without internet sharing for the moment.

10. saltyzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

It started doing it again. Turns on when I close the lid. Turns off when I open the lid. Very annoying....