Macbook Pro 2010 Magsafe / Battery Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnycache84, Mar 29, 2011.

1. johnnycache84 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I´ve been reading this forum for a while, but never felt like contributing something though I like your posts and ideas. This might be a long one but I think this is the best place on the web to get a good answer.

Anyway, I have a question about my 2010 Macbook Pro 13 Inch. Since last Tuesday I continue to have connection problems with my Magsafe Power Adapter. This wouldn´t be a big problem but as I use the computer for DJing, I don´t feel safe showing up anywhere with this anymore.

The Connection Problems are quite minor and wouldn´t be noticed by a standard user but I really care for my Mac so I might be a bit into details. Up until Tuesday, everything was fine. I could plug and unplug the Magsafe and everything would work, charging, normal use without battery, all is ok.

The problem is quite simple: When I plug in the MagSafe, sometimes the LED´s don´t light up. Then there are two cases, when in use, the system sometimes shows me that the System is on the MagSafe but not charging the battery (which isn´t full). Sometimes, the System doesn´t notice the Magsafe at all. When it goes into charging, charging is really slow (For example, the Battery is at 97% and the charging takes 15 Minutes).

When I shut the computer down, connect and disconnect the Magsafe, the same phenomenons appear. Sometimes, no recognition, sometimes no charging. The direction in which I use the adapter doesn´t matter.

I have already ruled out several problems: I checked the two Connectors on the Magsafe, no change. I checked the power source (of course!). I also ran an Apple Hardware Test (bootup with the system disk + press d and in the "long", detailed version) for three times in a row and all went well, so I rule out any problems with Drives, RAM or the Logic Board. I also cleaned out the Magsafe and the Magsafe Connector using Isopropyl Alcohol (>90%), no change. I read the Apple Support Page about the topic and my adapter looks quite similar to the examples. A bit used, but I´m a poweruser and the MBP runs for about 10-20 Hours a day (every day !), I used to switch power sources about 3-4 Times a day.

Coconut Battery Output is as follows: Currrent / Maximum Charge = 5019 mAh. Current Capacity = 5019, Percentage: 87% . Age of Your Mac: 29 Wks, Battery Temperature: around 30° Celsius, Battery Power Usage: between 15 to 30 Watts, sometimes 60 when under full load and on battery only. Battery Loadcycles 203.

There is nothing that ever happened to the system, it was used in Clubs and other Party Events, involving higher temperatures, humidity and artificial fog, everything went like a charm. The Performance is still perfect, there are no errors, just a longer boot time but I think the reason for that is that a good 75% of my internal drive is full. I never opened the Mac and there were no accidents.

I would love to go to a genius bar or Apple Store but all I have in reach is "certified dealers", I don´t trust them and don´t want to send the MBP to Apple as this would take at least a month. What should I do? Do you think this is rather a Adapter-Related Issue, or is it something that needs serious repairs?

Thank you and all the best!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Pay special attention to the CHARGING section and the links on resetting SMC and troubleshooting the MagSafe.

3. johnnycache84, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

johnnycache84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you a lot for the link, very informative!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I calibrated the battery and recalibrate it every 2 months.

Another question I have is about the warranty, I don´t know if I void the warranty if I open my MBP (I know I void it when I remove the battery)

4. Inara macrumors member

No, you don't void the warranty if you open it, in fact you can open your MBP to upgrade the RAM and the HDD by yourself

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. johnnycache84, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

johnnycache84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your replies and very helpful links. I appreciate it a lot!

I just tried doing an SMC reset but the light on the connector didn´t switch (20 sec hold on all keys), so I don´t know if it worked, I read the forums on it but I couldn´t gain anything from it.

I guess the best bet for me would to try another magsafe adapter. If the problem prevails it´s due to the system, if not it´s due to the magsafe. I´ve been reading a few things on iFixit, and I have bought the right tools to open the MBP, but as of now, I don´t want to do it. I also read that there is a specific ("logic" ?) board for the magsafe adapter. Is there any chance this could be the point of failure?

The Battery is not my main concern, I just want to have the MBP running on the Magsafe everytime I plug it in.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the Battery FAQ I posted, you'll find a few more facts. First, the battery may not charge if you plug it in with 93%-99% charge. This is normal. Second, the battery may not charge if what you're running demands more power than AC alone can provide. This, too, is normal.

8. johnnycache84 thread starter macrumors newbie

both is right, though even when in power use, i never experiened any second without the magsafe led being on... is there a reason for that?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the FAQ? It describes both scenarios in detail. Also, did you read the MagSafe troubleshooting info?