Macbook Pro 2010 Modal Stuck on Apple Logo Possible Hard Drive Failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danderton, Aug 14, 2012.

1. danderton macrumors member

Hi,

I have a late 2012 MacBook Pro, running ML and today it won't boot past the Apple logo.

I am unable to boot in safe mode and cant repair the hard drive using disk utility.

The first time i ran disk utility to repair the hard drive i got the following error.

partition map repair failed structure to fit

Now i can no longer repair the disk - its just greyed out. I think my Hard Drive is dead and have booked an appointment with the geniuses i just wondered if there is much more i can do?

Cheers

2. Hyperwezo macrumors newbie

I think your right

I have experienced a few dead hard drives, over the yeas and I would say that this could possible be the case.

Do you have another Mac? If you are confident enough to take out the hard drive from your MacBook Pro then you could use an external hard drive enclosure to connect the drive to another Mac, run disk utility and see if you are able to format the drive.

If the Partition Map fails again then you can be confident that the drive had died.

Wez.

3. danderton thread starter macrumors member

Cheers Wez, as i thought. Luckily still under Apple care so will take it to them tomorrow.

4. Hyperwezo macrumors newbie

That's alright then. My Mac's are under Apple care also. They should sort you out nicely then.